Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I want gauges that are as close to oem lighting as possible but...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want gauges that are as close to oem lighting as possible but...

I am getting a 2.3 stroker built with an fp black. The Black really shines at higher boost levels. For 4 years now I have wanted the gruppe s 3 60 mm pod with defi gauges to make an oem like apperance. For one I forger which style gauge is the closest looking to the stock lighiting. What model is It? Well if I get tuned for 30 psi im fine since it only goes to 30 but what about at 35 psi. Then I will have a gauge that only goes to 30 . Im looking for the most stock looking setup lighitng wise. I was thinking getting defi egt, oil pressure, and oil temp. for the center pod. Along with the aem tru boost and also a aem wideband for atop the steering wheel colum. Any suggestions guys be much appreciated.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

just get the boost gauge and wideband thats all you basically need.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why limit yourself to "OEM looking gauges"? Get yourself some nice dependable ones..
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think Defi offers a boost gauge that reads past 30psi (or 2bar), but Autometer does, and they now offer gauges in 60mm. They aren't as fancy as Defi gauges, but then again this isn't a car show either. I recommend Prosport because of the cost, but that all really depends on how deep your pockets are.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

The reason I want oem looking gauge is because I want that. I do not want something that is blue or white, its to mismatched for me. Any one know of these autometer gauges, if they are close to stock looking. I seen on their site they have a cobalt line and a digital line. Are those the models you were telling me about?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

You want the Defi-Link Meter ADVANCE BF. I have the older type of Defi BF gauges (Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure) in the Triple Gauge Panel with and AEM analog wide-band and analog flow meter in a 2-pod A-pillar. Looks great and matches stock lighting (Evo IX MR). The AEM gauges are slightly dimmer than the Defi, but the Defi can be adjusted.

You can set the Defi gauge to max warning of 30 PSI. When you boost over 30 you'll get an audiable and warning light. I have a 2.3L w/ FP Red and boost to 31-32 PSI. For me, I'd much rather have the Defi gauge that only goes to 30. I like the "warning" cause I know when I hit 30 PSI. Hopefully someday they'll come out with one that goes higher.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

AEM stuff is good but it's no where near the same look as the OEM gauges. I suggest as someone else has to take a look at Prosport. Inexpensive and comes various colors that would match the stock gauges. Their wideband gauge can be used with wideband controllers like Zeitronix and Innovate if you want to have a real dependable wideband. Not so sure about how realiable the Prosport wideband controller would be. Maybe someone could tell of their experience with it. I want to add that the Prosport boost gauge reads past 30psi. I think 45-50psi?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

thanks churchja and 4xforce. I dont mind spending the extra money for the defi its what I ve wanted for 4 years so I know if I dont get them then Ill be kicking myself later because of it. Isn't the aem inline wideband euego good enough for an afr gauge. Any one have an aem tru boost, thats replying in here?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have a AEM 50psi boost guage and AEM wideband and both together light up red and are very uniform. You could always brighten your cluster up with brighter red led's .Defi's are for show , I had 6 of them in my sti way back. functional yes but if your tuned you dont need all them other guages, boost /air fuel work quiet well by itself. Also their mounted on the steering column, if you needed a 3rd guage where your looking you could use a aem oil psi or volts etc.. I dont mean to sound like im choosing one over the other because if defi was smart enough to produce a wideband and a higher reading boost guage im sure all the high hp cars would use them. Imo
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

aye kc thats what im going for now since my prosport only goes up to 30lbs.. and im far past that now .. soo looking at the aem digital boost gauge
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah defi needs to get their head outta their butt and make a 45 psi boost gauge and an air / fuel so it would be so much easier for me lol
Old Jul 30, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Autometer has way more gauge lines that just the Cobalt and the Digital ones. I suggested them because they offer boost gauges that read past 30psi; Prosport and Defi do not offer this.

On the other hand, Prosport and Defi's gauges do look the most like stock, so it sounds like you're just gonna have to compromise on the max psi read out.

Autometer came out with a Nexxus line years ago that looks similar to Defi's and Prosports premium electric gauges, and they are expensive and require a $200 controller just to use them, just like Defi.

This thread makes me think of the vid that Prosport made of a customer that mainly wants the Defi gauges because he saw them in a magazine and they are a japanese product. If anyone else knows where this video is, please post it, haha!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

The AEM's are good,I have the AEM Boost A/F and Oil Pressure its good to have Oil Pressure in case something happens you can know almost immediately. I have the Gruppe S Panel but in 52mm and I love it. I also have the brighter LED's and its almost as bright as the AEM gauges imo.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ill show pic of mine so you can see maybe if you like this.. I have the AEM.

this is a old pic, i have the a/f first, boost second, oil pressure third now.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jul 30, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Love the MBC cigarette lighter.

Quick Reply: I want gauges that are as close to oem lighting as possible but...