Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing noise

Okay so i've been trying to diagnose this problem for a month now.. I came up with these possible outcomes.

Bad wheel bearing, radiator cover loose, grille loose, tire balance, u-joints, radial cord on tire.

The symptoms I have are when I go at about 55-70 I hear a what sounds like road noise, like when you drive on the highway and you're about to hit a toll and they have the .. 10 stripes or so that make u slow down or they'll mess up your tires.. Or another choice of sound would be the fender liner rubbing against the tire.

I know its not the fender liner, I ziptied that and there is no way that it could be able to hit the tire, with about 25 lbs of force no movement.

Anyone have this happen to them? I would like to get this fixed ASAP. I will be jacking up my car tomorrow and seeing if its the wheel bearings.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine makes a noise like that but its around 3k rpms, doesnt really matter what gear. Its only when i'm slowly accelerating it does it. The noise is not very loud, but definately noticable. A mitsu tech i know said it doesnt seem like a wheel bearing, so i'm looking to figure it out too.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start with visually inspecting the tires first. Are they worn out unevenly/bad? Is your alignment off?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kind of rotors do you have?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking tires and checking wheel bearings today. Stock rotors.