Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The longest 10 minutes of my life

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch. How the hell does that happen? Who tuned the car BTW?

Last edited by Anonymouse; Aug 2, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

wow someone must have def messed up the tunning or even the build..
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:21 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's an unreal piece of modern art.... why didn't you get out of the car and hang around like 20ft behind it to the side?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:52 PM

Dude its good you came out ok, sorry about the car though thats a bummer, especially only driving it the few times you did. If you get any heads up on what the final verdict was let us know.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 03:49 AM
TEV

Brian at GST tuned the car, but I think I found the problem. The O ring on one of the injectors was missing a chunk out of it so the injector wasn't properly sealed. I think I was getting too much air to one cylinder which caused detonation and a spun bearing.
I didn't get out of the car because I don't have full coverage so it would have been a total loss if it was smacked. Plus I couldn't just stand by and watch that happen, I had to try and save it and anyone who might have plowed into it.
I know, my life is more important, but I wouldn't be able to find another 06 RS in white with only
18k miles on it. The car was bought new with only 60 miles on the odometer (driven from warehouse to dealership) and no holes in the front bumper for the plate. Plus the calipers arent even close to peeling. It's a unicorn in my eyes.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

The problem was injector's were installed incorrectly. Who know's if anything else before the tune was installed incorrectly. The car ran perfectly fine before the motor was messed with a couple month's ago. The injector's were not installed until a hour before the tune, so we really had no way of knowing that was the problem. A buddy of mine noticed the injector making a vacum noise before this whole ordeal. I'm sure the damage was already done by this time. Driving it more just made it worse. Over a month's time the sign's were 1st-loss in power,2nd-new valvetrain noise's then 3rd BOOM! I really should have invested in a afr guage sooner...
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Ouch. Oh well you're alive and it's just a car that can be fixed.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

That's how i like to look at it. I just hope i can get this thing on the road again soon.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TEV
...pushing 399 whp...
Just say you're pushing 400 It's ok.

Originally Posted by TEV
I didn't get out of the car because I don't have full coverage so it would have been a total loss if it was smacked.
Your car might seem very valuable to you now but trust me it isn't worth anything compared to your life. Next time please forget the money and get yourself out of immediate danger.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:56 AM

Bro, be happy your alive. I hope you realise a few things though. 1. Get good insurance on your evo since you love it that much. 2. Next time you have a loss in power, get it checked since you love it that much. 3. You definately don't want to drive your car with an irregular sound so don't push it, have it checked, since you love i that much.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

I should probably straighten this out a little bit. The car is mine. Tev is the OP and my brother. We share the car as well. I put the insurence on liability since i knew the car was starting to run funny and knew i wasn't going to drive it until i figured out what was wrong with it. I was the one to noticed the power loss then my bro noticed the new noise. He was also the one who decided to drive it knowing all these things. But in his defense, he doesn't really know much about Evo's. I'm the one who does that's why i stopped driving it, but he didn't realize the magnitude of the car's situation. Now he know's and learned a bit and is helping bring it back to life.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:00 AM

I saw this car parked in the dirt Sat morning about 10am while I was driving east for my e-85 tune.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

woow what a story. Luckily you are still alive, and hopefully you bring up the Evo to its full potential.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

That sucks, and if evo owners pulled over at every funny noise no one would ever make it anywhere.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting story. You made a list of bad decisions that day.. I'm with drop24, you should have gotten out of the car. You can replace your car, but you can't replace yourself. If you really wanted to save your car and yourself, why didn't you get out and wave the traffic to slow down before your car?

Quick Reply: The longest 10 minutes of my life