Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

rod barrings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rod bearings

last january i blew my rod barrings. so i replaced the motor with a built 2.0L motor that pervious owned, from another evo.. so a month ago i finaly get my car back and a couple of days ago i thing i blew out the rod bearings again.. i dont know if its my driving or is it somthing else..

(situation)
i was getting on the on ramp, got on the gas pedel, got up to 135 and then slowed down. a clear lane opend then i droped it down to 4th at about 70MPH.
all of a sudden loud noise and rpm stuck around 4k RPM and then eventually dropped now i have knocks under throttle.

can any any one shed some light on what it might be.. i know the first time was because of low oil.. this time im not sure

Last edited by rs03evo; Aug 9, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who built the motor?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rs03evo
last january i blew my rod barrings. so i replaced the motor with a built 2.0L motor that pervious owned, from another evo.. so a month ago i finaly get my car back and a couple of days ago i thing i blew out the rod barrings again.. i dont know if its my driving or is it somthing else..

(situation)
i was getting on the on ramp, got on the gas pedel, got up to 135 and then slowed down. a clear lane opend then i droped it down to 4th at about 70MPH.
all of a sudden loud noise and rpm stuck around 4k RPM and then eventually dropped now i have knocks under throttle.

can any any one shed some light on what it might be.. i know the first time was because of low oil.. this time im not sure
#1 bearings
#2 You beat the car to death.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

yes sir, it was your driving.

Who built said engine? Was it tuned?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure who built it? I found the motor was built after I wrecked the first evo..

Alcohol and fast cars do not mix!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure who built it? I found the motor was built after I wrecked the first evo..

Alcohol and fast cars do not mix!
Put 2 flame suits on bro... You've got no idea what's coming ...
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Your an idiot to think that you can just abuse the **** out of a motor and have no consequences. As stated, its BEARINGS, and low oil could have been the cause of the first, but chance are if you were treating that motor the same way as you did this one it was you driving also.

I understand its a performance car and you want to have fun with it, but 135 on a highway is not a smart way to do it. So you bought a "built" motor for a car and had no idea what was in it or who built it? Again, your fault. You could have bought a motor with e-bay internals or just stock internals, did you even rip it up to check the condition??

I don't know what else to say on your alcohol comment, you make it into a joke, when most certainly it is not. Do us all a favor, sell the Evo and go buy a bicycle.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
yes sir, it was your driving.

Who built said engine? Was it tuned?
the car wasn't tuned for the set up , i added cams and smaller injectors,

but it was tuned prior...
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

I hope this is another member playing a joke.

You caused the engine to fail, NEVER drive hard or semi aggressively on a untuned setup. Why would you put smaller injectors in the car?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

When you rip everything apart check for detonation on top of the pistons..Not getting it tuned Def might have had an effect..Trust me dude, Been there done that..Cuz a motor is built doesnt mean its bullet proof..
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Your an idiot to think that you can just abuse the **** out of a motor and have no consequences. As stated, its BEARINGS, and low oil could have been the cause of the first, but chance are if you were treating that motor the same way as you did this one it was you driving also.

I understand its a performance car and you want to have fun with it, but 135 on a highway is not a smart way to do it. So you bought a "built" motor for a car and had no idea what was in it or who built it? Again, your fault. You could have bought a motor with e-bay internals or just stock internals, did you even rip it up to check the condition??

I don't know what else to say on your alcohol comment, you make it into a joke, when most certainly it is not. Do us all a favor, sell the Evo and go buy a bicycle.
Hey buddy,
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please keep comments to yourself.

135 on the highway was on a late evening with no traffic, the only person I endangering was myself.

and second the motor was found to be built (so I didn’t build it), but for you information it was torn apart, that’s how I know it was built in the first place..
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

your still an idiot...
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
I hope this is another member playing a joke.

You caused the engine to fail, NEVER drive hard or semi aggressively on a untuned setup. Why would you put smaller injectors in the car?
car was originally tuned for E85 and then detuned for 91,
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Hey buddy,
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please keep comments to yourself.

135 on the highway was on a late evening with no traffic, the only person I endangering was myself.

and second the motor was found to be built (so I didn’t build it), but for you information it was torn apart, that’s how I know it was built in the first place..
135 on a highway wasnt smart, but I wont lecture you on it. You are a big boy.

The running 135 on a untuned engine with smaller injectors is more than likely what caused your current engine failure. Detonation as stated above more specifically. You basically bashed the hell out of the rod bearing.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

please enlighten me how you take big injectors out and put smaller ones in and not even touch the ecu... and think its okay to beat on the car.

i dont care if the motor was built by jesus himself, you cant do that