Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

400hp only producing 300hp? Robbed/choked? Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodood
Really your only power mods are : intake (sorry to inform you that brand doesn't really amtter here), ported exhaust manifold, 3076r turbo, 3" downpipe, 3"testpipe, 3" HKS hi-power Catback, HKS 272's, Boost turned up to 27 psi..

Since you say your on a "ported exh mani." yet you have a 3076, I'd put money down that your on the ATP kit which is known to be less than a quality performer or using some funky adapter also less than optimal.

For pump gas numbers your power sounds right to me given the above. Your set up is technically making about 400 crank hp which after about a 25% drivetrain loss would be roughly 300 to the wheels, so your 320 number sounds correct. Especially since your running that turbo at such low boost for what it can do.

Cars with similar mods are making similar power on pump here in CA.
As far as me putting the brand name in, I just want to be as specific as possible as to help better my results.

I should be 400 whp not crank. I could was around 400 bhp with my stock turbo.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 07:45 PM

what could severely clog my i/c piping or FMIC?

how would u test for that specifically?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chknkatsu
a leakdown test is when they pressurize your combustion chamber and check for leaks. with this they can diagnose bent valves, possibly gasket problems. etc
hmmm... ill have to get this done asap
Old Aug 5, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evodood
Really your only power mods are : intake (sorry to inform you that brand doesn't really amtter here), ported exhaust manifold, 3076r turbo, 3" downpipe, 3"testpipe, 3" HKS hi-power Catback, HKS 272's, Boost turned up to 27 psi..

Since you say your on a "ported exh mani." yet you have a 3076, I'd put money down that your on the ATP kit which is known to be less than a quality performer or using some funky adapter also less than optimal.

For pump gas numbers your power sounds right to me given the above. Your set up is technically making about 400 crank hp which after about a 25% drivetrain loss would be roughly 300 to the wheels, so your 320 number sounds correct. Especially since your running that turbo at such low boost for what it can do.

Cars with similar mods are making similar power on pump here in CA.

no not at all, I put down 400/400 on 93 with my stock 8 turbo (i have dyno sheets) so with a 30r, quality kit or not, he should not be robbed of this much power.

OP-you do need some studs though just to keep things on the safe side and once you get your issue sorted out then crank the boost up and really push that turbo but first things first get your issues worked out!

AC
Old Aug 5, 2010, 09:40 PM

try the stock turbo back on or turn up the boost
Old Aug 5, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Are you sure your clutch isn't slipping?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Easiest way to figure it out.....remove mods, tune to make sure its not just your car, add mods in stages, check gains, it sucks but you'll figure it out.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:01 PM

So I read all these great ideas and all. So I guess if you check all these things and they are all ok than I have to ask. What about the injectors? Are you being fuel starved? I just didn't know if 720cc were big enough.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by SDevo13; Aug 5, 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Concern answered in earlier post***
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by Richsmith4
So I read all these great ideas and all. So I guess if you check all these things and they are all ok than I have to ask. What about the injectors? Are you being fuel starved? I just didn't know if 720cc were big enough.
i was surprised no one mentioned this till now. maybe not necessarily are the big enough but are they working correctly? is the fuel pump, pumping enough??
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

1. Could you post a log?
2. Did this happen immediately after you added the 3076 or any of the other parts for that matter?
3. Was this a slow process down to 300?
4. Did your cam gears loosen up?
5. Is your boost gauge reading 0 when the car is off (is it actaully 27lbs)?
6. If all else is good, inspect the turbo for shaft play, especially if this turbo is used.
7. Is there anything else you changed recently?

Last edited by D-VO; Aug 6, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Are you seeing 27psi at the track? The HKS cams are holding you back but even with those you should be at 350-400. Even at 320hp you should run 12's with a decent driver. Is the clutch slipping? Are you data logging during your passes? This will help you see if you are having knock and pulling timing and dumping fuel. The 720s should be good enough at this power level on pump gas. How are the plugs or coil packs? Did you install the cams degreed or 0*?

Your mph is VERY low, there is something going on, boost, spark, fuel, knock or all of the above.

Stock at 5200' I ran a 13.9 and got into the 12's with a stock IX turbo.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

how much psi does the 9 bov hold? And get a E85 tune man!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

I would check your fuel pump and injectors.

Also, what was the last mod you did to it? When did this start happening?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the tune is quality and his AFRs are in check in the 11's as he said before, then the issue isn't the injectors. I mean unless his IDC is really pegged for those mods, but still, 720cc should be alright on pump for his needs.

HKS cams also aren't holding him back too much. They are a mild cam, I am not disputing that, but they won't be a limiting factor on power. I am on the IX MIVEC HKS 272 cams and putting down decent power (500/500), but this is on E-85. You should see a mild increase in spool up and not sacrifice much on the top end, I am pretty sure I saw a gain of +15- 20 whp with these cams and a good tune around them. Not a huge gain to rave about, but decent nonetheless. I liked them because they were proven, mild gains, friendly to the stock valvetrain, and your idle doesn't sound ridiculous.

As to the earlier poster who said that power is correct, and he sees cars in California with the same mods making that much, I disagree. A stock IX can run a faster time than the OP put down, and with even a tune and an intake you should see the same power levels on a decent dyno with a good tune. I understand driving could effect his 1/4 time, but even with those numbers they are low. No way you should have been below 300 horse on any Evo with any sort of modifications, he was at stock power levels before he got the tune dialed in right, and from all that he gained not even 40 whp? Something isn't right.

I like the idea of taking things off in stages and starting from square 1. This will take time, but it is also a definitive way to figure out what is holding you back. I hope you get this sorted out. I am subscribed to see what the issue is, be sure to keep us posted.

Last edited by buchnerj; Aug 6, 2010 at 04:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 400hp only producing 300hp? Robbed/choked? Help