Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MAF and airflow problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF and airflow problem

Ok, ive run out of options and I need help diagnosing an issue again. My car will run 10.0 on the wideband and choke out my spark.

A few weeks ago my car started running very rich after I would reach perhaps 10~ psi. I figured this was because of the high heat and humidity. At 20psi my car feels like its lost all power. Although it never "studders" as I have seen with cars running far too rich in the past. I've always had a CEL from the wastegate being unplugged and the rear O2 sensor. I decided to check the codes. Turns out I had 3 codes from my MAF (intake air temp, barometric pressure, etc). I swapped MAFs with a friend of mine who has an evo 8. I do not know if the evo 9 MAF and evo 9 MAF are the same.

Anyway, the problem remained after putting in a new MAF. I've checked everywhere for boost leaks, exhaust leaks, and compression leaks. Nothing is leaking, my car is as solid as ever. The tune is still the same as it was when the car was running flawlessly. Spark plugs are still good, iridium tips that I put in 2-3k miles ago.

Where it really gets confusing is I took the car to mitsubishi because I figured I had a wiring problem. They ran the CELs and said I had no codes for the MAF. So, im back at square one.

Any ideas as to what my problem could be?

Mods are; Synpase recirculated BOV, TBE, Intake, Hallman pro MBC at 22psi, walboro 255lph.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:08 PM

Update, on the way home tonight I tried to get on it. Now I cannot build beyond wastegate pressure. The car sputters, and the boost drops 5-8 psi.

At this point it sounds like either my MAF is completely gone, the turbo is dying on me, wastegate might be going bad, or perhaps my boost controller.

Last edited by Void21; Aug 6, 2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:28 PM

ya id say probably a bad wastegate or turbo as long as it is true there are no boost leaks! but also instead of worring about the maf stuff just go speed density it makes it ten times better and if its a maf problem that will get eliminated!!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 01:50 PM

Turbo is good, wastegate is fine. Im back to square one. Throttle body also seems to be sealed properly.

Im at a loss.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:36 PM

Found my problem. AC fan cut a hole in my coupler. Replaced that, blew a few more couplers off. Now its running fantastic.

Thanks for nothing evom. :P
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

glad you got it fixed. I was going to suggest taking the Boost controller off. I just had a hell of a time tracing down my IAC code and idle problems my cars been having. Just to find out the boost controller went. good thing auto zone let me return the brandy new IAC!