Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Letting EVO sit for long period

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nevermind i think its just the camera flash lighting up the projectors, it really sucks your evo has to sit outside next to other people that dont care about it
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guessed it! I thought it was a pretty good photo from a point and shoot digital camera. From what I heard it was a pretty bad storm. My wife did go out and check both cars for any sign of water damage and let me know that my car had no problems!

I have been pretty regular at getting my service done at a Mitsubishi dealer on time or early. The 30,000 was a little early, but it was right before shipping the car from Hawaii to Virginia.

The only thing I have done to the car is add the Orbital double din conversion kit, Pioneer navigation unit, and had a Compustar PRO alarm/remote start installed. Before I left, as long as I drove the car regularly, I had no problems, but if it sit for a week, the battery was dead. When I get home I need to find out what is drawing so much power.

Thank you all for your kind words and help!

John
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be putting Stabil in the fuel tank every time you aren't going to be driving it for a while.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:24 AM

You know now that I think about it, I put the Stabil in my motorcycle, and forgot to put it in my car! I guess I'll be getting some of that fuel injector cleaner soon!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:27 AM

Glad to hear your baby is fine. Another evo on the road!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:41 AM

Atleast get a car cover for the poor thing! lol
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:59 AM

Fully charge your battery, change your oil, and anti-freeze, plus check all vital fluids. I'd also use some injector cleaner and gas additive. Run the car for awhile before driving.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 01:49 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
I drive my car only about 500-1000 miles a year and it sits from november till march. It is always on a battery tender (mini battery). I start it once a month atleast and make sure I change the oil atleast twice a year.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jp7
I drive my car only about 500-1000 miles a year and it sits from november till march. It is always on a battery tender (mini battery). I start it once a month atleast and make sure I change the oil atleast twice a year.
500-1000 miles a year? Damn that's a little
Old Sep 3, 2010, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Redbud23
Well First things first Have you been using the recommended synthetic fluid? If so good if not 7 months might be too long sitting with regular oil. If synthetic just change it.

Also if you didn't put any stabil in the fuel the gas tends to gum up at about six months or so. Definitely put a couple of bottles of injector cleaner in. If it still idles bad then you might have to have the fuel system flushed at a local jiffy lube or some place similiar. There are some DIY help on the internet.

Changing the plugs is always a good idea or at least checking the plugs.

Then maybe check all your belts and make sure there not cracked. Belts are made from rubber which are made from oil products which crack if not used for a long period of time.
Also check your tires for cracks from sitting so long with out moving. Do not want start going b@(($ to the wall with bad tires.

Also check your suspension if there are any zerk fittings go ahead and grease them with some good synthetic grease.

As for the battery most likely its will be good after a good recharge. Not just jumping it and then driving for a few minutes. It needs to be fully charged before operating. Some people say to just jump it and then drive for a little bit, but driving it and charging puts a load while tryin to charge it. Meaning its never a full charge which will shorten the overall life of the battery. If you just hook it up to a tickle charger overnight from 12 to 24 hours you would be much better. If you fully charge it and still have problems then one of the cells is bad from being dead so long. Just get a new one or a optima red top.

I have deployed multiple times with the same 2003 EVO some times for 9 months some times for 16 months and I have the same problem my wife doesn't like to drive it. She says something always breaks when shes driving it. Next time Just ask her to at least start it and let it run for 20 or 30 minutes every week or so and it would do wonders. Any questions let me know
This pretty much sums it up. I've also recently returned from deployment and you just need to take it easy on the car until you get all of the above worked out. once you do, you can go back to tearing up little ricer fools!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

I recently just left for deployment and I'm gonna be letting my mom start it up every so often... Ill get back and do the same thing everyone has said. After all that it should be good to go!!!

Last edited by LGshow19; Sep 3, 2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Yea just do your normal checks under the hood and visual outside inspections. I would run that tank of gas out before going boosting. Buy a octane booster from auto store and put in.I would invest in a trickle charger next time it sits.It prolongs battery life. All wife has t do is plug it in once a month.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:27 AM

battery oil and wash that damn thing!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:38 AM

i have done the same man. mine sat for about 6 months with no start ups or anything. i had it towed to a friend of mines work shop. changed all the fluids and it cranked right up let it sit for about 10-15 mins at idle with the same gas in it then lifted it in the air and let it idle so the drivetrain was moving the tires. no problems. went and filled the gas tank up and had at it like it was never out of commission. this with like 28k miles on it while sitting in the driveway with no cover. for the tires not to sure cuz mine were worn out already.

GL you shouldnt have any problems.