Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

E85 Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused, why would you do a build with a turbo that big, A) only to run 20-25 psi, and B) with H beam rods?

Why not utilize a more responsive turbo that is efficient in that boost range. A turbo that size should be 35psi minimum on e85...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Whats wrong with h beams rods always used them never had a problem, as for the turbo i got it for a steal a deal i could not refuse, i am not going to run 35psi on a street car its not worth all that seriously 35psi on a street car is just way to much fuel consumption for me
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Well if you got it for a steal I'd sell it and get a turbo more suited to your needs...waste of spool time to run something that big @ 25psi imo
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

I would advise looking into the Buschur dual stage boos controller. With it, you can have two preset boost levels, one low and one high, and at the flip of a switch, cycle between the two. This way you can run your ~20psi 99% of the time and when you want to go a little more, flip the switch and run ~30psi. with that turbo, 30psi on 93 should be no problem at all....and safe.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run 37psi on my HTA Green it is one of the most fun street cars I have ever driven. As for the fuel, the consumption isn't that bad.

H-Beam rods weren't a great choice though. How much torque are you putting down now? Expect that to be increased by at least 50wtq or so, and if that number is over the 500ish mark, then I would be fearful of your rods. Eagles are also just a Chinese made rod that has been known to have serious issues with heavy torque motors...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
I would advise looking into the Buschur dual stage boos controller. With it, you can have two preset boost levels, one low and one high, and at the flip of a switch, cycle between the two. This way you can run your ~20psi 99% of the time and when you want to go a little more, flip the switch and run ~30psi. with that turbo, 30psi on 93 should be no problem at all....and safe.
You could also do that with a dual map switch, an Omni 4 bar and a 3-port. Have everything controlled by the ECU so all you have to do is flip the switch and your ready. Thats exactly what I do with my 93 and E-85 tune. I want to switch back and fourth, all I do is flip the switch and I am set to go...

Edit: they also charge 350.00 for just that boost controller. For that much you could get everything I mentioned before and have it all setup nice for you...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

i have a electronic dual stage blitz boost controller with 4 presets i can change them at the drop of a dime
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Have you considered driving up hwy 95 to AMS in Gaithersburg, MD? Drive up on a weekend, rent a car for a week, then pick up the following weekend.

With all the military with Evo's in the Norfolk area, I'd think you should probably investigate finding a shop with more Evo focus.

Last edited by churchja; Aug 10, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

trust me bro there are shops everywhere but no one with mad skills on the dyno like ams, gst, or sean ivey
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:42 AM

you were running meth for 20 psi???

And you said 35 psi was too much for a street car??? A 40r is considered too much for a street car PERIOD, but since you have that 2.4 its liveable

everyone's right bro....that boost should come up.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thedark20
you were running meth for 20 psi???

And you said 35 psi was too much for a street car??? A 40r is considered too much for a street car PERIOD, but since you have that 2.4 its liveable

everyone's right bro....that boost should come up.
i feel you bro its to this point i dont know what to do i mean there giving me reasons why i need all this stuff and im also telling them what everyone up here is saying also which they seem to disagree with they also stated, that the paper fuel filter on the pump can not handle e85 so i needed to run a stainless steal filter has anyone heard of this
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

That is totally b.s. ask anyone that runs ethanol on this forum if they are running different filters. I have had the same fuel filter on the walbro that has been in my tank for 3 years. I swapped to E-85, over a year ago and everything is still running like the day I switched.

I would really reconsider the shop you are going to...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

^ that
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:28 AM

hey bro in response to your e85 question, here is a list of my buddys mods, his car made 377/377 with a conservative tune on e85, so i guess a question for you is, what HP goals are you looking to make?

E85
Walbro255
Precision 880cc Injectors
Aeromotive Fuel Rail
ARP STD Headstuds
TurboXS 3" turbo back exhaust with racepipe
EPM V1 O2dump
Injen Intercooler pipes with t-bolts
Forge RS BOV
Hallman Pro MBC
AEM UEGO & Boost gauges
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 1badmr
Man I know I am going to get wasted for this question but trust me fellas before you burn me i did search for almost one hour and could not find a direct answer on what is needed for my setup. a basic run down of my car is

Motor:
Evo 9
2.4L 9:1 cr Fully Built
Super tech valve train
Cosworth 272/272 cams
Br Intake maifold (the factory upgrade)
Br 65mm tb
Pte 1000cc injectors
Br deluxe fmic
RSR 3inch tb exhaust
gt 4088 turbo
twin scroll manifold
aem engine mangement
walbro 255 intank
Factory fuel rail

I told the local shop that i wanted to switch to e85 now that i have it in my area the gave me a bill of over 2400 dollars . Now this was including fuel rail, intank double pumer, all the fancy fuel lines and fittings, fuel pressure regulator, labor and tuning is included in that price. I just wanted to know the rundown of the bare things needed to go e85 with that setup, and does it acutally cost this much, any help will be greatly helpful in this matter.
what's throwing me for a loop is not only the cost, but the parts they put on, and didn't. With that kind of turbo and mods, you are gonna want 1450cc injectors or bigger. Them not upgrading seems silly. you're gonna max out those 1000cc's.

fancy fuel lines? why? Fuel rail? why? and with out larger injectors? It just seems like a waste. actually a lot about this seems like a waste. You can run high psi and be ok with fuel consumption. I run 28 psi, and when I keep it under boost, i manage 20+mpg city/ 25+ highway.

I'm going e85 soon, and the parts list for me is;

FIC1450cc $410
Wingz double pumper $350 (custom pump, only about $50 cheaper)
double pumper install $150

Speed Density conversion and tuning:
$250 single E85 SD map
$140 OMNI 4bar map sensor
$40 GM Intake Air Temp (IAT) with pigtail
install of these sensors $50

$85 for 3 pulls on the dyno

That should cover it.
$1475 for everything. something's off with your tuner bro.

Quick Reply: E85 Question