Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo wont start, need help.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
evo wont start, need help.

I drove to the gas station, filled up and went to go start the car. After an attempt to crank, all the lights died. I have a mini battery in the trunk, with a cable going to the stock pos fuse block in the engine compartment ( on top of stock pos terminal), to the battery in the trunk. I had it jumped at the fuseblock to drive it to work to be able to diagnose it. I found battery voltage good. resistance values good. alternator output was 14.2-14.4 while I was driving.
At the terminal fuse junction on top of the stock pos terminal I found it has only 4v. When I disconnect the battery terminal I found the cable ( from the battery in the trunk) has 12 v, but the battery, and every terminal on there drops to 4 v as soon as I connect the engine fuseblock ( on top of dri fender) back on the fuse panel thingy..
SOmething in that connection is dropping my voltage from 12 v to 4 v as soon as I connect the fuseblock to the rest of the system, could it be a bad ground??? Any help in this matter would be appreciated, thanks..
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I forgot to mention is that I had a jumper pack connected directly to the battery in the trunk and no go. When We moved the jumper pack to the front fuse block the car was able to start. WHen I was driving it afterwards, I went to turn the headlights on and the car started to stumble, and the fuel pump was not getting clean power, it was sounding like an uneven whine ( I have a walboro 255).
I still havent ruled out completely that I have a bad battery. When I connect the fuseblock I assuming im putting a load on the circuit. If the battery has a bad cell and has really low amperage, then the voltage will drop?? Im still working on checking all the grounds, but I can temporarily swap in a known good battery and see if that does anything.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:29 PM
Account Disabled

Swap the battery with a good one, this is the cheapest and quickest fix.... swap it and if it still does it, you know there's other issues... if not, it's fixed.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by compscibOi
Swap the battery with a good one, this is the cheapest and quickest fix.... swap it and if it still does it, you know there's other issues... if not, it's fixed.
Ya, I should of just tried that. Honestly today was such a crazy day that I just didnt have a clear head today.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Update...

Well I figured out the problem to my car. I found out I had a weak ground from the battery neg terminal to the left trunk wall area where I had it connected to. As it turns out there is not alot of good ground places in the trunk. I swapped it back to where I had it before on the threaded hole for the spare tire bolt. Problem solved after I did that. Definately something to consider for everyone who has a battery in the trunk. IMO, this is the best ground to use back there. Its not the prettiest place to mount it, but your electrical system will love you for it.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just about to say check the ground lol glad it was an easy fix!