Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is my stero slowly dying or do i have a electric gremlin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is my stero slowly dying or do i have a electric gremlin?

Hey guys,

So i got a quick question for you all regarding my stereo in my 03 evo 8.

so about 5 months or so i started noticing that my left speaker (drivers side) would occasionally go out. if i turned my car off and back on, it usually went back to normal. the closer it got to present day the more often it would occur and stay off longer.

about 2-3 months ago the lights on my stero started to slowly fade when i turned off my headlights and acc. lights off (control by the steering wheel). when off, my stereo lights would slowly fade untill they went completely out, but if i pressed my brake pedal the light would turn back on, like normal. Once i take my foot off the brake they would fade again untill off. at the same time the left speaker going out, is still going on.

now about a week ago the lights on my stereo finally went off completely. they wont turn back on if i restart the car, or when i switch on the lights, or even when i press the brake. and the speaker still constantly goes in and out a lot more frequent then when it first started about 5 months ago

Has my stock evo 8 stereo kicked the bucket or am i starting to see the signs of an electric gremlin?

thanks to all those that took the time to read this

-solley
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles are on your car? And have you checked to efficiency of the alternator?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by D-VO
How many miles are on your car? And have you checked to efficiency of the alternator?
its got right at about 70k miles on the car and no i have not checked that, could the alternator be going bad? my parking lights in my headlights slowly went out before, and my rear bumper side red lights went out as well earlier this year but i assumed they all just burnt out since it happened all around the same time
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH! I'm sorry man, I thought for some reason you meant they were dimming out not blown out. Was there any work done to your car around that time? Maybe a turbo timer or electronic boost controller? Or any other mods? This is a new one for me.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by D-VO
OH! I'm sorry man, I thought for some reason you meant they were dimming out not blown out. Was there any work done to your car around that time? Maybe a turbo timer or electronic boost controller? Or any other mods? This is a new one for me.

its all good, nope haven't had an electrical work done to the car or anything. I have an aftermarket defir boost gauge but its been on the car since day one. well the lights on the stereo were dimming out for a time but now they are permanently off, im assuming they blew, or something in the stereo that controls the lights went out??