Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winter proofing my evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol my car has seen 6 winters with the prev owner
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get some really good snows. I've used the Blizzaks, highly recommended!!

My brother and I used to pray for at least 5 inches of snow to take out his WRX and my Evo.... With that much snow(here in the tri-state) people tend to stay off the roads.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
Driving a mustang or trans am in Chicago winters is brave. You're going to love the evo in the winter.
If it got real bad I took out the grandparents jeep, and I had a blast in that. I can only imagine how fun its going to be now lol. I'm waiting for the first snow fall.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mobilman
If it got real bad I took out the grandparents jeep, and I had a blast in that. I can only imagine how fun its going to be now lol. I'm waiting for the first snow fall.
Nothing does donuts in the snow like an evo. =)

Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

i do this in the mall parking lot all the time! LOL... but this year the evo is going to sit in the garage and stay nice and warm... always nice to have a younger brother in college, because his car is home and is now my winter daily
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:01 PM

Oh the fun I'm going to have haha

On another note... does the ACD in snow mode actually help? Like is it noticeably better?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:06 PM

^^new comp background btw haha
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

It doesn't seem to make a big difference on what mode ACD it's in to me. The snow setting has lower pressure and longer latency on engagement to help you keep traction on slick surfaces where the increased pressure and decreased latency time of the tarmac setting would tend to lock the diffs more dramatically and break the car loose a little easier.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Driving a mustang or trans am in Chicago winters is brave. You're going to love the evo in the winter.
haha and this is coming from a guy who lives in alaska

op this is what your gonna need: block heater, oil pan heater, rubber floor mats, roof rack, winter tires (i run dunlop sp wintersports), mud flaps, and some dank fogs

edit: don't forget that snow brush

Last edited by PKEVO8; Oct 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the car anti-rusted before. And clean the car every week if you have access to an indoor garage up there.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

If at all possible, wash the car often. If you're really serious, replace all rusted hardware with new.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:05 AM

Dont forget to check your coolant balance to make sure you have the proper amount of antifreeze/water ratio.

Also drain out your windshield washer fluid completely, and put stuff in that is rated to that low of a temperature other wise your generic "blue water" washer fluid will just freeze!

Jumper cables, snowbrush/ice scraper for sure in the trunk because you need to clean the car off and maybe jump it in a worse case scenario.

Other wise what every one else covered is right there on part, snow tires, raise car if you can, and no front lips! GOOD LUCK!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

everyone's giving good advice. I would add that you should put the stock springs back on if you are not on stockers (if you are on coilovers, crank them as high as they go).. give yourself some clearance for the icebergs on the road. I used to live in Montana. Not quite as extreme as Alaska, but I always kept a collapsible shovel, tow strap, come-along, and jumper cables in the car once it started getting cold. First three for when either I or someone else was having fun in a ditch. The other for if I or someone else was having fun car posing with the hood up . Have fun. I drove my evo back to Montana last year just to play in some of the white stuff!
oh yeah, then of course there's foodstuffs, blankets, etc for in case you break down..not sure about where you are going, but where I used to live you could be out 100 miles from anyone and only having people pass by every so often..
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure to know where to hook up a tow strap. I have never used one, but I bet a kinetic rope could be a good purchase so you could yank people out with the Evo. Just google it.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
better put some stock 8 enkeis on that sucker too!!!can't ruin those TE's you have on right now

Quick Reply: Winter proofing my evo 8