Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winter proofing my evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter proofing my evo 8

Long story short got orders to alaska where it gets -60 in the winter. I currently live in california and have no clue what im getting into lol. Im going to ru. 5-w30 oil, get a block heater installed and blizzack tires. Any other recommendations?
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NativeSS
Long story short got orders to alaska where it gets -60 in the winter. I currently live in california and have no clue what im getting into lol. Im going to ru. 5-w30 oil, get a block heater installed and blizzack tires. Any other recommendations?
I'm in the same boat. People say the Blizzacks are good with the Evo, but I'm leaning toward studded tires for even more traction.

I hear Mitsubishi makes a block heater that heats the coolant. I think I will also put one of those universal oilpan heater on as well.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Leave the Evo in So Cal, or Just Garage it up there..Winter Weather Destroys cars over time..Especially with salt on the road..Welcome Rust! Just my .02
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

yea another suggestion would be a really warm garage
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

I dont run blizzacks but i run some dunlops graspics. They worked great but if you can run studded tires legally i do that. I will have to say winter does create rust though but then again i bought an evo for all kinds of uses. Its a car use it. Evos are a blast with some winter tires nothing gets you closer to rally driving than in some snow going sideways through some corners. You will love the experience.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by johno
I dont run blizzacks but i run some dunlops graspics. They worked great but if you can run studded tires legally i do that. I will have to say winter does create rust though but then again i bought an evo for all kinds of uses. Its a car use it. Evos are a blast with some winter tires nothing gets you closer to rally driving than in some snow going sideways through some corners. You will love the experience.
+1..I could imagine, winter driving must be a blast
Old Aug 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by THE8UH8
yea another suggestion would be a really warm garage
i think its the best idea, if yu can clean salt its a big +
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:07 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by binarysleep
I'm in the same boat. People say the Blizzacks are good with the Evo, but I'm leaning toward studded tires for even more traction.

I hear Mitsubishi makes a block heater that heats the coolant. I think I will also put one of those universal oilpan heater on as well.
Ima have to call on that block heater...a universal oil pan heater sounds good too. The cars gonna be garaged but like said above its a car, rabbit runs, events with scca or beating on it in the snow, this is EXACTLY why i got an evo, just wanna prep it for it.

I am a california boy born and raised..i had never even heard of studded tires lol
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Bro, number one item for winter, rubber floormats! I'm serious. Other than that your going to wAnt to remove any lips you have added. And stock or higher ride height is suggested. My evos been through some bad winters and I've nicknamed it mr plow. No worries.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 04:48 PM
Account Disabled

Wow i would have completely over looked rubber floor mats!! I have an apr front bumper AHHHH haha..back to oem i guess for winter. I figured i was gonna have to raise it to the sky.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my first winter as well, parked it last year but seems kinda stupid to park a turbo AWD reliable car and buy a ****ty NA FWD un-reliable winter beater to leave my *** in the -35 (were talking canadian temp scale here people!!). different strokes for different folks i guess.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need some mud flaps. I get stuff all over the sides of my car in the winter. The evo wheels stick way out and throw stuff everywhere.

You might also want a battery heater. If it gets too cold the battery won't start the car. My dad lives up in Fairbanks where it hits 60 below sometimes. If you leave your car out in that it won't move. The rear end and other drivetrain parts can get frozen. If you try to bust it loose with the engine you end up breaking all kinds of stuff. Metal gets incredibly brittle when it's that cold.

You're really lucky you'll have a garage. You probably won't have any problems. Might possibly want to remove your front lip when the snow hits. It will get beat. If you have the option dial up that ride height.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:35 PM

HAHA snow driving FTW!! I have blizzaks and they work really well, even in MN winter
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:25 PM

This will be my first winter as well... I'm coming from a mustang and a trans am, so this is going to be interesting haha
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mobilman
This will be my first winter as well... I'm coming from a mustang and a trans am, so this is going to be interesting haha
Driving a mustang or trans am in Chicago winters is brave. You're going to love the evo in the winter.

Quick Reply: Winter proofing my evo 8