Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

noise on engaging..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise on engaging..

im not really close to a dealer its why im asking... in few weeks ill go see a mitsu..

but i want to know if anyone has heard this noise at a moment...

its happening when i engage the clutch on 1st or reverse....i think its near the driveshaft... maybe a joint between shaft n rear diff, or tranny :O ??

the clutch is not in top shape but im not hard pushing all the time..

someone has an idea ?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

what kind o noise?

Originally Posted by elmark44
im not really close to a dealer its why im asking... in few weeks ill go see a mitsu..

but i want to know if anyone has heard this noise at a moment...

its happening when i engage the clutch on 1st or reverse....i think its near the driveshaft... maybe a joint between shaft n rear diff, or tranny :O ??

the clutch is not in top shape but im not hard pushing all the time..

someone has an idea ?
clunk? squeal? groan? bang? give us something here man.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

i can say : clunk clunk ,, a metal on metal sound
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm confused on OP's definition of engage. When you press the clutch in you are disengaging it, when the clutch is out it's engaged.

So does it happen clutch in at a stop going into first or reverse?? OR Does it happen while letting the clutch out in first or reverse as the clutch begins to engage??
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I'm confused on OP's definition of engage. When you press the clutch in you are disengaging it, when the clutch is out it's engaged.

So does it happen clutch in at a stop going into first or reverse?? OR Does it happen while letting the clutch out in first or reverse as the clutch begins to engage??

it happen when in at a stop going into first..
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Does it happen right when you shift it into 1st or right when you start moving from a stop?

I had a clunk sort of noise, it sounded like metal creaking on metal, but very very very low frequency so it sounded more like a couple clunks. It happened when starting from a stop or when coming to a stop. I saw some topics here about it, but none gave any very satisfactory info. I noticed it didn't seem to happen in the rain, so I figured it was something that water could lube up enough to prevent. I tightened up the bolts on the sway bars (I think that's what they're called?) 1/4-1/2 a turn and problem solved.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The transmission will make a clanging noise when it goes into gear. There is a silencer pad at where the steering column goes through the firewall. I threw mine out when I had the dash apart. Now, this noise is very apparent in the cabin.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mirkendargen
Does it happen right when you shift it into 1st or right when you start moving from a stop?

I had a clunk sort of noise, it sounded like metal creaking on metal, but very very very low frequency so it sounded more like a couple clunks. It happened when starting from a stop or when coming to a stop. I saw some topics here about it, but none gave any very satisfactory info. I noticed it didn't seem to happen in the rain, so I figured it was something that water could lube up enough to prevent. I tightened up the bolts on the sway bars (I think that's what they're called?) 1/4-1/2 a turn and problem solved.

ok nice to know, its same when rain no sound