Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help cant figure out problem!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help cant figure out problem!

My build is done and everything is back in the car and such, I turned the key and it turns over, but doesn't fire up. I tried a few times and the same thing. I gave it some gas and it fired up. However, almost immediately it began to idle down and got really choppy and the vibrations were horrible till it shut off.

The only way I can start the car is to give it gas while I turn the key. Within 5-10 seconds it just idles down to like 500-600 rpms then dies.

I figured it might be my fuel pump, changed it out and no difference. I triple checked all vac lines and connections and those are good. All fluids are good too, dont know what else it could be.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:26 AM

Sounds like you could have your idle set too low. I had similar problems in my MR2. I don't know how you adjust the idle control (I think it may be on the ECU). The MR2 just has a screw you tighten or loosen to adjust idle rate. If that turns out to not be the case, check this out:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...le-issues.html
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

I was gonna guess the fuel pump but you said you replaced it. Maybe check your spark plugs?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Brand new spark plugs, OEM of course.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What was changed since the rebuild? Did you check for air leak?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vibrations sound like it could also be running on less than 4 cylinders. Did you check to make sure you have spark in all 4 cylinders?

You can do this alone pretty easily with the coil packs pulled out and a long handled screw driver. Stick it in one spark plug socket at a time and stand outside the car looking between the hood and the frame for spark (this gives you enough room to engage clutch with right foot and turn it over, you can also listen for the arcing...I just did this yesterday actually). In my case I somehow blew fuse 1 but if you are getting spark at all then that isn't it.

Check MAF plug
Check both coil electrical plugs
Check all 4 cylinders for spark
Unplug return line and plug in a long hose into a container and turn it over, look in container for a pressurized gas flow.

Tried all that yet?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
What was changed since the rebuild? Did you check for air leak?
Built 2.4
Built head
FP black
all supporting mods

Seems to be good on all vac lines.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Vibrations sound like it could also be running on less than 4 cylinders. Did you check to make sure you have spark in all 4 cylinders?

You can do this alone pretty easily with the coil packs pulled out and a long handled screw driver. Stick it in one spark plug socket at a time and stand outside the car looking between the hood and the frame for spark (this gives you enough room to engage clutch with right foot and turn it over, you can also listen for the arcing...I just did this yesterday actually). In my case I somehow blew fuse 1 but if you are getting spark at all then that isn't it.

Check MAF plug
Check both coil electrical plugs
Check all 4 cylinders for spark
Unplug return line and plug in a long hose into a container and turn it over, look in container for a pressurized gas flow.

Tried all that yet?
Checked MAF, but not the coil plugs. I am pretty sure the plugs are good since they are new.

BTW how am I going to engage the clutch while standing outside the car lol...

Last edited by Earthen; Aug 16, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:15 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, has this engine ran before this ? Sounds like cam timing.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

How is the car when you give it gas? Does it still break up? If not, maybe your idle is just set too low. Did you try adjusting it?

Also if you gave it gas and the car started up is a good indication that your injectors are running rich at start up. What does your wideband show when your car is idling that rough?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kpr
Ok, has this engine ran before this ? Sounds like cam timing.
Engine is brand new from SBR, not even broken in yet. Only just finished putting everything back together.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
How is the car when you give it gas? Does it still break up? If not, maybe your idle is just set too low. Did you try adjusting it?

Also if you gave it gas and the car started up is a good indication that your injectors are running rich at start up. What does your wideband show when your car is idling that rough?
Car is sounds great and feels great when given gas, but only tapped a little on it. Idle should be fine, it has never been tampered with. Wideband is showing 12.1 with gas and like 14.1-14.7 at idle before it drops then it seems to get rich and dies.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

You just did a new engine, bigger turbo, better flowing head. What your settings were before for idle don't don't really matter

It's probably not getting enough vacuum at idle and dieing out on you. What does your boost gauge read at idle. Is is a lot less vacuum then before? If you say all your AFR are correct, I would just adjust the BISS screw to get better vacuum flow in there.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
You just did a new engine, bigger turbo, better flowing head. What your settings were before for idle don't don't really matter

It's probably not getting enough vacuum at idle and dieing out on you. What does your boost gauge read at idle. Is is a lot less vacuum then before? If you say all your AFR are correct, I would just adjust the BISS screw to get better vacuum flow in there.
My boost gauge reads 0 at idle. When I give gas it drops below 0.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:57 AM

Check your timing. I had a similar issue before and it turned out that my timing was off.

Quick Reply: Help cant figure out problem!