Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Undertray Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were do you guys buy these?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
maperformance.com

they have the best price for it and will get it shipped to you in just a few days
Old Sep 2, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's mine including the minor mod for the 3" DP.

The weld joint causes part of the problem. But for this unit to clear a 3" DP, the DP is going to have to almost be in contact with the oil pan.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Here is something I forgot to mention in my original post that I have some concern in.

I know that Beatrush States that their undertray helps cool the motor but my question now becomes a question of cooling for the transmission, one in question the 6spd in my MR.

Everyone knows that the 6spd has overheating issues when pushed hard, and on the OEM tray if you look there is a curved peice that goes straight to the cooling fins on the transmission.

On the Beatrush tray that is eliminated and its just flush, so in theory, the transmission would not get the direct airflow from the undertray. I do realize that some air does get to the transmission through the radiator, and on general driving duties for DD use it would be adequate, but when the car is pushed, and if you happen to AutoX or even do a High Speed Track, I am curious to know if the Transmission would get propper cooling?

I realize that people with 5spd transmissions don't have much problems with overheating, and I realize also if your so concerned about overheating you could use a tranny cooler which would cost a pretty penny and would be not practical on a DD car, but its still a concern of mine.

I need to research getting a Transmission Temp Guage. That sure would help in this scenerio. If I can get something hooked up like the OEM Oil guage where there is a sensor in the drain plug and route it to the dash, that would be easy for an install. Not sure if something like that exhists for the Evo.

Anywayz, anyone have any clue in this area? I know most shops run their race cars with the 5spd not the 6spd, so this may just come into play for the do it yourselfer person. Would really affect my decison on the purchase. OEM tray may not be perfect, but it does provide cooling for the 6spd which I find crucial.

Thoughts Please.
Bump for more info on the 6spd tranny and cooling...
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Beatrush blocks the 6spd tranny cooling fins from airflow...

Edit: lol I didn't read the last few posts.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 6spd suffers from heat related problems stock, my fear is this beatrush tray, even though as beautiful and functional that it is, may cause additonal heat related issues. the OEM plastic piece flows air straight to the tranny fins. For the 6 spd I feel this is crucial especially on the track where things get REAL HOT. 5spd users may not have to worry as much, but heat equals wear. Just something I must factor in.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Buschur plastic undertray? I know plastic isn't as strong, but 300 for an undertray is murder. That's going on the Christmas list.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DFelton
Has anyone had experience with the Buschur plastic undertray? I know plastic isn't as strong, but 300 for an undertray is murder. That's going on the Christmas list.
Wait until you try to get the Buschur unit shipped .... $$$$$

So I guess the best option for us 6 spd owners is to fab our own and incorporate air intake (below) to pull air across the tranny fins ??

I would think sealing the bottom off would still force the air coming across the FMIC and radiator across the rest of the engine and then out the bottom - either the slots or just the back of the tray. I don't feel this is ideal from an aero perspective, but probably cools the tranny fins. Maybe the hole in the hood allows enough air out to not cause aiflow / pressure issues....
Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DFelton
Actually, after installing mine I don't think $300 is too far out of line. Fits nearly perfectly, and is very strong/rigid when all mounted up. When you install it you can tell a good deal of work went into the design.