Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Undertray Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undertray Question

Hey everyone, I know this is an old subject, but need some recent info. I am looking for an undertray for my car. I am considering putting the OEM back on but I like the Beatrush unit. I know there are posts on this subject but I am looking for more specifics. Does anyone have the Beatrush undertray running an aftermarket I/C and running a Buschur Downpipe? I just want to see if the thing would work. I don't want to buy it and have to hack it all up, would rather just use the OEM unit than hack up a new unit.

So anyone that has this tray can you give me some insight so I don't waste my money. Thanks..

Jeff
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not have a beatrush undertray but have looked into getting one. I thought i remembered seeing a panel that can be removed for aftermarket downpipes to fit. Also, you may want to check into the attachment to the front bumper splitter (front lip) especially with an aftermarket lip.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

The DP is not the issue....some have issues with uber large FMIC....
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I have the beatrush undertray but not with the combo you are asking. I have a nisie IC which is a really large core and a megan downpipe. The undertray is flush with the front lip and goes all the way down. I doubt there is any IC out there that would be lower then your oem LIP. As for the dp, I wrapped mine because it will probably rattle against it once in a while. After runing this setup for almost 2 year, the undertray managed to put a hole in my aem wrap and I can hear it rattle sometimes. No biggie, I will just wrap it in that spot again couple times again.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:20 PM

My intercooler piping rubs a bit on the undertray but its not enough for concern. I have the Tanabe turbo back though and the down pipe wouldnt allow me to put on the rear half of the underbody tray. I plan on altering it to fit when I get some time.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:55 PM

I have the Beatrush under tray with Buschur Front mount, a larger down pipe and the AMS deep oil pan.
The tray fits level with the front bumper lower edge.

Last edited by MACHC5; Aug 19, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Ok so seems everyone is telling me here that I can use this Beatrush undertray with an aftermarket I/C, and an aftermarket 3" downpipe with no problems? Was the install fairly simple or did you have someone do it for you?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Ok so seems everyone is telling me here that I can use this Beatrush undertray with an aftermarket I/C, and an aftermarket 3" downpipe with no problems? Was the install fairly simple or did you have someone do it for you?
Its not hard. I found instructions on this forum and the japanese instructions that it came with had pictures.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

search button is your friend!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-downpipe.html
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
on the beatrush unit, your larger downpipe will rub the tray only if you have the stock catback in place, it will not rub if the whole exhaust is 3" but the way the stock catback fits it pulls up the back end of the downpipe and lowers the front just enough to rub. ask me how i know haha. i thought my transmission was messed up until i discovered the rubbing
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
on the beatrush unit, your larger downpipe will rub the tray only if you have the stock catback in place, it will not rub if the whole exhaust is 3" but the way the stock catback fits it pulls up the back end of the downpipe and lowers the front just enough to rub. ask me how i know haha. i thought my transmission was messed up until i discovered the rubbing
I beg to differ. Just put mine on today. Megan DP, Perrin HFC and Tanabe Cat-Back. All 3" and the DP is pressed against the undertray. Going to do a little modification on it tomorrow. Looks like I will just need to cut a slight area where the first bend in the DP is as it turns to go under the oil pan.

Still worth it. Piece of art compared to that POS oem tray.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRpunk
My intercooler piping rubs a bit on the undertray but its not enough for concern. I have the Tanabe turbo back though and the down pipe wouldnt allow me to put on the rear half of the underbody tray. I plan on altering it to fit when I get some time.
Do not cut...Just put some two longer bolts for the center bracket and use nuts for spacer to move the center bracket down and lower the back of the front panel down slightly. Then put the back panel under the front panel. This made it Beatrush work for my Tanabe downpipe of my Tanabe TBE.

Last edited by gunhaha; Aug 20, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Here is something I forgot to mention in my original post that I have some concern in.

I know that Beatrush States that their undertray helps cool the motor but my question now becomes a question of cooling for the transmission, one in question the 6spd in my MR.

Everyone knows that the 6spd has overheating issues when pushed hard, and on the OEM tray if you look there is a curved peice that goes straight to the cooling fins on the transmission.

On the Beatrush tray that is eliminated and its just flush, so in theory, the transmission would not get the direct airflow from the undertray. I do realize that some air does get to the transmission through the radiator, and on general driving duties for DD use it would be adequate, but when the car is pushed, and if you happen to AutoX or even do a High Speed Track, I am curious to know if the Transmission would get propper cooling?

I realize that people with 5spd transmissions don't have much problems with overheating, and I realize also if your so concerned about overheating you could use a tranny cooler which would cost a pretty penny and would be not practical on a DD car, but its still a concern of mine.

I need to research getting a Transmission Temp Guage. That sure would help in this scenerio. If I can get something hooked up like the OEM Oil guage where there is a sensor in the drain plug and route it to the dash, that would be easy for an install. Not sure if something like that exhists for the Evo.

Anywayz, anyone have any clue in this area? I know most shops run their race cars with the 5spd not the 6spd, so this may just come into play for the do it yourselfer person. Would really affect my decison on the purchase. OEM tray may not be perfect, but it does provide cooling for the 6spd which I find crucial.

Thoughts Please.

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Aug 20, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JDavenport
I beg to differ. Just put mine on today. Megan DP, Perrin HFC and Tanabe Cat-Back. All 3" and the DP is pressed against the undertray. Going to do a little modification on it tomorrow. Looks like I will just need to cut a slight area where the first bend in the DP is as it turns to go under the oil pan.

Still worth it. Piece of art compared to that POS oem tray.
weird, mine didnt start rubbing until i put the stock catback on. ive got 2 washers on each one of the bolts holding the crossbars so that could be why mine wasn't rubbing with the full 3" exhaust
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
weird, mine didnt start rubbing until i put the stock catback on. ive got 2 washers on each one of the bolts holding the crossbars so that could be why mine wasn't rubbing with the full 3" exhaust
I'll take a few pics of the mods I did to mine to eliminate the rub.

Quick Reply: Undertray Question