Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is it the new power of choice???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010 | 03:01 AM
Evolving Member

Is it the new power of choice???

ok, so i'm a newbie, i understand. I am no mechanic but know my car and all the angles of what is and should be and can be according to the normal stats of a stock bottom end from the factory. i know many may ask about my mods but i did not metion B/C of to many(so if you want to know i will tell)so with a fair fuel system with an FP black i HIT fuel cut off according to AMS tuner with a 60/40 mix of meth/water. my question is all my studies showed me a 500hp monster, however i fell shy cause of fuel limitations? WTF, i have a 255 fuel pump, 950cc injectors sooooo, whats the problem????????????
Old Aug 22, 2010 | 03:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by adam_79_2005
ok, so i'm a newbie, i understand. I am no mechanic but know my car and all the angles of what is and should be and can be according to the normal stats of a stock bottom end from the factory. i know many may ask about my mods but i did not metion B/C of to many(so if you want to know i will tell)so with a fair fuel system with an FP black i HIT fuel cut off according to AMS tuner with a 60/40 mix of meth/water. my question is all my studies showed me a 500hp monster, however i fell shy cause of fuel limitations? WTF, i have a 255 fuel pump, 950cc injectors sooooo, whats the problem????????????
what are your IDC on evoscan showing? 950cc + walbro should be enough on pump for that imo.
Old Aug 22, 2010 | 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adam_79_2005
i HIT fuel cut off
Though all the broken english I saw this. Sounds like you have a tuning issue. But no where did you really give us anything to go on.
Old Aug 22, 2010 | 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

What does "Is it the new power of choice???" mean? Is what the new power of choice?

Say hi to Dog The Bounty Hunter for me. Keep away from the 'ice'.
Old Aug 23, 2010 | 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, there's more dick heads on this site then I thought, not for nothing but if you don't have anything positive to say then don't reply. The whole reason i was curious was because of me and my friend having damm near same set up, difference was I tuned on 60/40 meth on 100octane and hit 485hp, chris from AMS said that was it that i ran out of fuel, that next thing I needed was a double pumper fuel pump, now my buddy doesn't have a meth kit but tuned on q16 and hit 527hp. So like I was wondering how he didn't run out of fuel or need a double pumper. FYI we both have fp black, 272cams, stock bottom ends.

Like I said if you don't have anything positive to say then don't post at all.
Old Aug 23, 2010 | 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Log???
Ran out of fuel meaning you IDC's were up there???
Sure the meth kit was working 100%???
In the first post you said you hit fuel cut off??? Is that the case??

Your best bet would be to post a log and go from there..
Old Aug 23, 2010 | 08:22 AM

When in doubt, take it to someone who knows more than you. Or try and get on here and start reading.
Old Aug 23, 2010 | 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

You really need to post up a log and show IDC and other fuel trim settings. Chances are that his Q16 is going to produce more power then your meth setup anyway. I see you are on 100octane with the meth, which I guess should be similar, but it is really all in the tune.

You could be running out of fuel with 950cc injectors and a single pump, and I would trust this if a mechanic at AMS told you, but do some research on your own. Do a pull, log your fuel trims and IDC, then see what they are when you hit fuel cut. Once you post that up we can give you an idea of what is going on.

As far as people being jerks, what do you expect when you come and ask for help on a problem and give no insight as to the mods and/or a log of the issue? Also, I hope you have some money saved, because you are playing on borrowed time with that motor. You and your friend, prepare yourself for the inevitable build.
Old Aug 24, 2010 | 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
You really need to post up a log and show IDC and other fuel trim settings. Chances are that his Q16 is going to produce more power then your meth setup anyway. I see you are on 100octane with the meth, which I guess should be similar, but it is really all in the tune.

You could be running out of fuel with 950cc injectors and a single pump, and I would trust this if a mechanic at AMS told you, but do some research on your own. Do a pull, log your fuel trims and IDC, then see what they are when you hit fuel cut. Once you post that up we can give you an idea of what is going on.

As far as people being jerks, what do you expect when you come and ask for help on a problem and give no insight as to the mods and/or a log of the issue? Also, I hope you have some money saved, because you are playing on borrowed time with that motor. You and your friend, prepare yourself for the inevitable build.
Not sure what playing with borrowed time means, but if your referring to my build then I'm good to go, I know I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to building an evo but I've done my homework, my caris good to go, thanks for the tips with the dyno chart, I have all my tunes on my laptop, I'll check them out.
Old Aug 24, 2010 | 04:26 AM

i have a few friends making over 500 on fp blacks with stock bottom ends. Down here a lot of people run an inline fuel pump to help keep fuel pressure up. also did you rewire the pumps to 12v when you or whoever installed them. you may not have the constant 12v power needed to keep up fuel pressure. As far as meth goes, in my opinion meth is high risk. you achieve the same with race gas. i have seen many meth motors blow because the meth goes into one cylinder and constantly wears on one piston. I would take the kit out and just tune on q16.
Old Aug 24, 2010 | 10:48 AM

borrowed time as in fp blacks can make around 500..
stock rods are rated for 500 its only a matter of time before something bad happens..

but what else what fpr do you have? i hope its not a stock fuel rail??
and if you have e85 down there just go for that
Old Aug 24, 2010 | 12:11 PM

+1 on the e85. I dont like 8/9's over 500. I think just like X91EVO over 500 brings issues.
Old Aug 25, 2010 | 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j0shth3j3w
i have a few friends making over 500 on fp blacks with stock bottom ends. Down here a lot of people run an inline fuel pump to help keep fuel pressure up. also did you rewire the pumps to 12v when you or whoever installed them. you may not have the constant 12v power needed to keep up fuel pressure. As far as meth goes, in my opinion meth is high risk. you achieve the same with race gas. i have seen many meth motors blow because the meth goes into one cylinder and constantly wears on one piston. I would take the kit out and just tune on q16.

thanks for the tip, i'll defenetly look into that, as for my fp turbo its a black, no theres no e85 here in hawaii, whenever i move back to the states thats something i'll defenetly look into. As for the meth kit i am happy with it but i am aware of some of the potential issues, i may run a better one then the one i have and incorporate a really good fail safe in the future, anything after market that you do to your cars comes with a risk, as for the fuel problems, i would love to find a double pumper that doesnt cost 500 dollars from bushur, its so expensive when considering you can get a walhpro 255 for 90 bucks, times that by 2 and it still 180, as for the system that holds it costing over 300 bucks is a bit extreme, any suggestions would be helpful.
Old Aug 25, 2010 | 02:04 AM

I didn't know that about meth. I guess I need to read more meth threads.
Old Aug 25, 2010 | 04:45 AM

I have a friend, d1g th1s that is here on the board. She has the top of the line meth kit. Tons of safety features and still blew her motor with meth. I will look for the pictures of the piston, but it had a hole in it from where the meth continued to hit the same point.

Quick Reply: Is it the new power of choice???