Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dimmer Problem After Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dimmer Problem After Radio Install

So I finally decided to get a better radio for my Evo IX last night. After installing it the dimmer for my boost gauge and clock stopped working. I checked the wiring to the boost gauge and everything was fine. The odd thing is that my gauge cluster and my factory radio dimmer still works fine, I hooked up the factory radio again to see if that was the problem. I think this happened because I accidentaly wired the remote from the aftermarket radio to the dimmer on my car's harness because they were both blue wires. My question is does anyone know if I accidentally blew a fuse or any way I can fix this. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The clock is on a seperate circuit from the gauge cluster dimmer, it is only dim or bright and not variable. Sounds like a blown fuse, but if the clock and radio still work it sounds like your going to have to dig a little bit deeper.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
The clock is on a seperate circuit from the gauge cluster dimmer, it is only dim or bright and not variable. Sounds like a blown fuse, but if the clock and radio still work it sounds like your going to have to dig a little bit deeper.
My gauge cluster and radio lights dim when i turn on my headlights. The factory clock and my boost gauge dont dim anymore when I turn on the headlight. Would you know the location of the fuse so I can check it out?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackSE
My gauge cluster and radio lights dim when i turn on my headlights. The factory clock and my boost gauge dont dim anymore when I turn on the headlight. Would you know the location of the fuse so I can check it out?
Yea, the gauge cluster, clock, and radio lights will dim when you turn the lights on because they are wired into the headlight switch. I am not sure which fuse for you to check, it could be something internal in the headlight switch. Do your radio and boost gauge still light up and function?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
Yea, the gauge cluster, clock, and radio lights will dim when you turn the lights on because they are wired into the headlight switch. I am not sure which fuse for you to check, it could be something internal in the headlight switch. Do your radio and boost gauge still light up and function?
Yup, everything gets power and works fine, the only problem is that it won't dim when I turn the switch.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I actually just noticed that my HVAC controls arn't lighting up but the lights under the A/C button works.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSE
I actually just noticed that my HVAC controls arn't lighting up but the lights under the A/C button works.
I know when I blew one of my fuses under the hood for the passenger side corner lights, My hvac lights went out for some reason.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Still_Spinnin
I know when I blew one of my fuses under the hood for the passenger side corner lights, My hvac lights went out for some reason.

same here i had that same problem
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:58 PM

It kept popping because when I put my JDM rear on i left the plugs for the rear sidemarkers hanging, I guess it was grounding out and popping fuses lol
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

I found the fuse, it was the under hood passenger side tail light fuse. For some reason i guess its connected to the dimmer. Thanks guys.