Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What guages are crucial?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Hm...ok. So what you're trying to get across is get gauges for monitoring the car's health, and then get a datalogger or something similar for tuning issues?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, some gauges aren't "necessary" perse to the average user. 350whp is enough to consider getting some gauges to help monitor stuff just to make sure your car is running fine all the time.

If you're stock, boost is all you need. In fact, until you start playing with AFs, internals, etc, boost is probably all you need. Then you'll want EGT after you start messing with AFs. Granted, it's not a wb02 but it can serve as a decent indicator for how your engine is running.

When you start getting fuel upgrades like injectors, pumps, etc, then you'll want to monitor stuff like fuel pressure.

I don't really know what you need A/F gauge for, as they're narrowband and basically useless for the most part. I don't really see a need for a water temp/pressure either, just don't boost on a cold engine and you should be ok.

EDIT: I meant fuel pressure, not oil pressure.

Last edited by zstryder; Nov 25, 2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, I think it's gonna be the Oil Pressure, EGT and Fuel Pressure. Can you guys recommend any brands/models?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

EGT isn't the same as O2

one measures exhaust gas temp and the other measures the a/f ratio of your exhaust gas.

IMO: water temp, oil pressure, boost pressure, and wideband O2 (but that's damn expensive & dosen't last forever) are the most important.

Don't underestimate the necesity of water temp - it's one of the best indicators of general engine health. Boost is important, but if you have a boost leak, your car runs like ****. If you have a water/coolent leak you risk the chance of destroying your engine... Remember, heat is the enemy for powerplants, especially high performance ones like the Evo's - and having an accurate, real-time gauge on how hot your engine is is really important.

If you want to read about just how important water temp gauges are, check out rx7club.net. It is generally listed as a must have for a 3rd gen RX7. Yeah I know the 4G63 is a ****load more robust then the 13b, but heat is still heat.

Last edited by trigeek37; Nov 25, 2003 at 11:24 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be using the 45mm Omori "factory look" gauges to be placed in the 3 hole DIN holder where the radio is.

For me -

Boost - to keep an eye out for leaks and as a guide.

EGT - Another guide to let me know I'm pushing the engine a bit hard and when to back off....before it starts to soak the oil. I'll be measuring in the downpipe for now while the car is totally stock to see what the factory likes.

Oil Temp - Crucial for morning warm ups. We dont have the fancy BMW gauges to yellow line things for us while the engine is cold. Once the oil gets up to temp that's the green flag (pending tranny warm up, you can feel that). It's also another warning when I'm pushing too hard, and how long it takes the engine to "recover" from that last run.

I have no intentions of tuning off of these, they are just an extension of the idiot lights.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 08:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Zeus

OK so EGT(not better than a wideband, but more cost effective),oil pressure (a given, it will also rise if your coolant rises giving a rough idea of your over all engine temp activity), and fuel pressure (because you will more than likely see lower or inconsistant fuel pressure before you notice anything on the other guages).
Sorry, I was fighting a serious headache when I posted this. Oil pressure will not rise with increased coolant temp as I stated above. Oil temp will. However, if you are limited to three gauges, I think you have made the best choice. Knowing the OE temp gauge is not very accurate, if it starts to climb, immediately shut it down until you find the culprit.

If you have the coin, Defi or Omori gauges are the way to go. The list gos on and on from there on down. It is a matter of how much you what to spend.

Last edited by Zeus; Nov 26, 2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

My wrx wagon had a metric turbo boost gauge mounted on the steering columm. My evo has no boost gauge at all. I liked the columm mounted gauge. What is my best bet? How much does Mitsu charge for a factory boost gauge?
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

How's this for answering my own question? This is what Mitsu sells for $464: Turbo boost, oil temp, voltage. How hard would this be to install? I like sticking with stock whenever possible. I think it adds to resale value, and keeps cops from sniffing around too much for other mods.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Nov 27, 2003 at 11:52 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 02:28 PM

i herd that the mitsu gauges are gay they dont read that good!< im not sure!
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm looking around right now for some good gauges, and I'm noticing that they offer both mechanical and electrical gauges. Is there anything that makes one better than the other?
Old Nov 27, 2003, 09:39 PM

My stock evo has boost, water temp and oil temp. Defi seem to be one of the more popular gauges - only one cable/wire connecting all three and the start-up and shut-down sequence is darn kewl!