Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Prevent JDM Bumper From Melting

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prevent JDM Bumper From Melting

Anyone running the Jdm bumper has burn marks or melting marks left on your bumper from the heat of your exhaust????? I know that there are carbon fiber heat shields out there that you can put on the bumper, but does this really works?? I was thinking if you put the carbon heat shield on doesnt the heat transfer to the heat shield causing the cleat coat to fade or melt, and will the heat travel pass the cf heat shield to the Jdm bumper???

Thanks guys for the time to read this and helping me out. For guys and gals that is wondering what exhaust Im running, i got the HKS carbon Ti w/ jdm rear.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ElectrIX Blue
Anyone running the Jdm bumper has burn marks or melting marks left on your bumper from the heat of your exhaust????? I know that there are carbon fiber heat shields out there that you can put on the bumper, but does this really works?? I was thinking if you put the carbon heat shield on doesnt the heat transfer to the heat shield causing the cleat coat to fade or melt, and will the heat travel pass the cf heat shield to the Jdm bumper???

Thanks guys for the time to read this and helping me out. For guys and gals that is wondering what exhaust Im running, i got the HKS carbon Ti w/ jdm rear.
I Have the buschur bullet tbe and the tip stickS out about 2 inches I was gonna cut it but I see people are burning up the paint on the jdm bumper and don't want the same thing happen to me..I'm leaving it cause I shoot flames so maybe you should have the muffler extended just a bit out the bumper or get the heat shIeld with the carbon fiber but to me makes the bumper look a bit cheap.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ElectrIX Blue

I have a rexpeed carbon fiber exhaust heat shield and it works for me. I have a Greddy Ti-C and it touches the heat shield. 4 months with that touching.. hasnt melted yet.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

I know on the normal USDM bumper you can get a Carbon fiber heatsheild but if your car is backfiring nasty that won't do much either.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no marks or issues with mine. 2+ years of it on no head shield. Mine sticks out a bit to i fiqured it might do some type of warping if it was directly under or sideways

Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just extend it out a little bit man. Heat shields will work. But your best bet would be to pay 40 bucks or so, and have a shop extend it a couple inches. Better to stick out a bit then to ruin a bumper. Especially if its authentic in which that bumper is not cheap. I know mine wasnt.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:53 AM

Go 05 SSl! The leather seats are a must!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sti"izzle"
Wtf are you talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:47 AM

Sorry, I had two windows up and replied to the wrong one.

As for this topic, I have the carbon fiber heat shield, but it didn't come with anything to attach it with. What should I use? 3m Double sided tape?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

have the tip stick out a lil bit and get the cf heat shield you should be fine
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:23 PM

Sorry, I had two windows up and replied to the wrong one.

As for this topic, I have the carbon fiber heat shield, but it didn't come with anything to attach it with. What should I use? 3m Double sided tape?

Tape won't hold up to the heat, rivets are your best bet.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lttletimmy
Tape won't hold up to the heat, rivets are your best bet.
Agree, why would you want to put 3m tape where the exhaust heat is traveling. This might work for the first week or so, but over time eventually it's gonna fall off without screws or rivets.