Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I Need advice on a catch can question please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is my agp catch can. its small, has baffling inside to catch the oil, and is mounted below the valve cover. It doesnt have a drain but is easily removed to check and drain.

Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a clear fuel filter on the vent tube off of the valve cover. It catches the oil and I replace it when I change the oil. No more oil in the intake for me. And it is tons cheaper than a catch can.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

OK im a noob yes can someone just explain how the catch can works?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
weapon r totally sux. You will catch more oil in your lines going to the catch can, than with the Weapon R catch can.

I went with DC3 and mounted to the transmission, used 2 bolts ( out of 4 that hold right side engine mount attached to the transmission) and bolted a bracket that Catch Can is attached to. This way you have nice flow from top ( valve cover exhaust ) to bottom ( catch can ) . THe can drains from the bottom. All you have to do is jack up the car, and drain it.

It really works, I track my car and I noticed much more oil collection than I ever did with Weapon R junk
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok so dont get weapon R i got that....

What catch can is this....anyone know?

Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know where in the hell i can order red hoses too hook up my catch can with?? please.... someone let me know. They keep giving me BS hoses im looking for some color.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:19 PM

Saikou Michi cans with screening inside are the way to go. If you buy something without screening or baffles inside, it is a waste of money. They don't add bling, so if they don't work why spend the money and the install time?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Buy some fuzzy dice they come in many colors.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking about just running the PCV puke right onto the ground. Maybe put a check valve in too.. See how many EPA nuts I can get to freak out eheh, although it does suck getting oil on your windshield Although if I ever go to the track I'll have to catch it again obviously.

Last edited by boostedwrx; Sep 1, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Still, thx for the advice.... But I'm still not sure what that can is in the picture... And can someone please tell me when I can get some hoses for tr catch can...?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you need suction to get the oil vapor out, thats why it is connected to the air intake.

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
I'm thinking about just running the PCV puke right onto the ground. Maybe put a check valve in too.. See how many EPA nuts I can get to freak out eheh, although it does suck getting oil on your windshield Although if I ever go to the track I'll have to catch it again obviously.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

^ Really, that will suck. I'm reading up on it..

Last edited by boostedwrx; Sep 1, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
you need suction to get the oil vapor out, thats why it is connected to the air intake.

under vacuum it gets drawn out of the pcv, under boost it vents out of the tube on the dri side (the one that routes back to the intake). Vacuum from the intake does help a bit, but under boost it doesnt need much help to vent out.
I have tested several catch cans and none are perfect. They all get SOME oil back in, along with hot air venting back to the turbo inlet. I have ran my setup both recirculating my catch can and vented, but now I just capped off the intake and used the filter on top of my catch can. Driveability hasnt changed, but at least now theres no chance of oil going back to my intake or hot air from the crankcase. When you are boosting at wot and you have a catch can with a filter vta, you can actually hear the air rushing out a bit, almost like it slightly amplifies the intake sound.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

It's not all about pretty hoses or global warming guys read. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/en...atch-cans.html
Old Sep 2, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Oil coming out of the exhaust? Sounds like you have a SERIOUS turbine seal leak.

As far as catch cans go...

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

The bracket is designed for a Corvette, but if you have the least bit of ingenuity, you'll be able to figure out a way to mount it in you engine bay with a custom bracket. I have one of these and I'm very glad I got it. It really catches a lot of oil opposed to the hollow, pointless, stupid "dress-up" catch cans, that do nothing more than show people that you're retarded and have no idea what you're doing. Just saying.

Quick Reply: I Need advice on a catch can question please