Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I Need advice on a catch can question please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I Need advice on a catch can question please

I have been researching oil catch cans for about 1 1/2 hour now and now I know the purpose for em... So that was my step 1.... I was flying down the highway and my friend behind me on his r6 was telling me that there was oil flying out my exhaust.

Anyways seriously guys i am going get the weapon r catch can...just cuz of the wannabe gradient color too match certain things in my engine...

This question will sound very dumb... But I can't seem to find thr answer...

How are u supposed to empty the catch can? I understand people usually do it on there oil changes... But how do u empty it... Are u supposed too unbolt it and empty it or is there a drain?

Also... I THINK alot of u would say not too get that catch can... But I DID hear that it leeks... But I'm not sure. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get a moroso one.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No Thanks man... I'm just trying too figure how people empty there catch cans... Also I would love if someone knew a website for hoses for the catch can.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a carbing one and it has a drain bolt on the bottom. Others you just have to uninstall an drain it the same way it goes in.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

You are saying that you want a catch can just to match other color engine components? You heard first hand that it leaks and you are still interested in it?
Sounds to me like you want a catch can for the wrong reasons. You need to do some more reading. Try here for starters: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...catch-can.html
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm selling 2 Saku Michi DC3 or whatever the eff theyre called catch cans lol... if anyones interested PM me.

To the OP - it sounds like some POS you should probably throw away if it doesn't even have provisions for draining. Probably have to remove it to empty it.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any quality ones will have a valve on the bottom to empty the contents. The moroso one is very nice.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummmm...... I'm don't want to point out the abvious, but you have oil shooting out of your exhaust? If that it really happening, then you have more serious problems to worry about then "how to empty one out".
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the weapon r one sucks, Its not going to catch shiet! Ppl fail to realize that a "catch" can will not catch anything if it does not come with some sort of filtering medium in it. If your catch can is empty inside then it won't catch ****.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

some have drain plugs others you have to take off.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:08 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Ummmm...... I'm don't want to point out the abvious, but you have oil shooting out of your exhaust? If that it really happening, then you have more serious problems to worry about then "how to empty one out".
My first thought, as well.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
My first thought, as well.
+++++ This. So just how did your friend determine oil was flying out of your tail pipe?....You might need a better friend instead of a catch can--
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with FJF and the others, if you have actual oil coming out of the exhaust then you have bigger problems then just a catch can. If you saw a slight blue hue to your exhaust smoke then I would say a can would be the solution, but liquid oil coming out the exhaust is a larger issue. If you are blowing oil through the recirc hose back into the intake (where a catch would go) or through the PCV valve, then eventually it would find its way into the combustion chamber and ignite with the air/fuel mix. That would cause the blue smoke, but if the oil is still liquid, then that means it isn't being burned, which is a separate issue.

Are you sure that the "oil" coming out of the exhaust just isn't water condensing on the inside of the exhaust after start up and then mixing with the soot and carbon buildup and making its way out the tail pipe? It would look like oil, but that would mean nothing, as this is a common occurrence.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

You won't ever have to empty the Weaponr because it doesn't work get a Saikou Michi twin setup.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:10 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just attach a hose to the valve cover and let it vent below, **** the catch can

Quick Reply: I Need advice on a catch can question please