Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problem breaking open taillights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem breaking open taillights

So i took my taillights out and followed through the DIY of how to crack them open so that i could paint the housings black like the evo 9, had them in the oven for 15 minutes at 200 and brought them out and the plastic was even alittle squishy it was so hot and i tried to run the razor blade down the outer edge, but right away i cracked two razor blades in half. they were good irwin blades too and then i got to look at it closer and its like some sort of black epoxy or something that was rock hard.

Is there any other way to get them to come apart?

im afraid a dremel is going to scratch the inside of the lense or break off the tabs off so it wont attach back together

any help is apreciated!!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:50 PM

I did mines with a dremel and small thin cutting disc...I cut right behind the lens where u see that hard black stuff...it wasn't that bad or hard...just have to take ur time
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tigerkill2007
I did mines with a dremel and small thin cutting disc...I cut right behind the lens where u see that hard black stuff...it wasn't that bad or hard...just have to take ur time
okay sweet ill have to try it, i looked at a couple of my buddys and theirs didnt have this black epoxy, im guessing the guy before me did it so that they would never fog up, my tails and headlights are crystal clear thanks to him but a pain to get apart haha