Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help in buying!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help in buying!

Well i am planing to buy this 2003 Lancer Evo with 40k miles.. but this guy seems pretty shady.. I asked him is it a clean title he told me that the evo was stolen once but when they found it nothing was stripped apart, he told me his uncle works on ferrari's and porsche and told the seller nothing was tooken off.. also i asked for the VIN number and he replied back sorry bro i dont give my VIN out on text, when you see the car you can check it.. He told me he just bought the car last june. He first was selling it for 13,000 but if i get it by next week he will go down to 12,000.. This all seems shady to me.. maybe this isnt a real evo maybe its a replica.. can someone give me some tips of authenticating the car? here are some pics he sent me.

Old Sep 2, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

I really doubt its a "replica" evo as you mentioned, but it may or may not be a salvage title.

Call him and have him read you the vin number, and then immediately run it on carfax so you can understand the history.

In comparison to other similar year/mileage evos, the price does seem too low. Now, there ARE good deals out there, but take care that you don't get scammed.

Also, if you're not mechanically knowledgeable, have a local shop that you trust check the entire car for you. Compression test, leak down test, general inspection, etc. can go a long way to making sure you don't purchase a lemon. Good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Def an EVO but you have to check it out. Even more than any other used car.

1rst thing I saw is how the hood doesn't properly meet the pass side fender. See it???
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Don't get ripped off, get the vin and run a carfax or autocheck. If he really wants to make the sale he will give you the vin. If he decides to not give you the vin ask him to purchase the car fax and he can black out the vin leaving the last 8 digits.

I would not even look at this evo anymore seeing that he is giving you a hard time about the vin.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:15 PM

Sounds like a good deal but like ^^ said have a mechanic check it out and do run a carfax once you get the vin. Even though it looks pretty good from the outside you also want to make sure the engine is running good. You don't want to buy a problem car right out the bat. Good luck and hope you find out everything you need.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by monkey_187
Don't get ripped off, get the vin.

I would not even look at this evo anymore seeing that he is giving you a hard time about the vin.
totally agree!
dude shouldnt be beating around the bush like that. plus if he said it has been stolen that right there would automatically turn me off.

just be very careful with this guy. like the others said look at it have it looked at by a shop that you are familiar with not him.

tell you right now like was said the hood is off and also the bumper is not stock that is JDM. and the wing is faded bad on the inside. so no telling what else has been done.

Last edited by J Nguyen; Sep 2, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

haha definitely a salvage title. he wants u to see the car and sell it on the spot. He knows if you run the carfax u will walk
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by keevo54
haha definitely a salvage title. he wants u to see the car and sell it on the spot. He knows if you run the carfax u will walk
Ding ding ding. Winner.

12k isnt bad still.. but never buy a car without running the car facts, going for a test drive, and maybe even have a tuner take a quick look at it.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Def an EVO but you have to check it out. Even more than any other used car.

1rst thing I saw is how the hood doesn't properly meet the pass side fender. See it???
^Maybe its just unlatched.

This might be a good deal, but thats an odd situation with the title. A car fax will let you know whats up with that. I would say, if the title is salvaged, then the $ is a bit on the high side. Otherwise, as long as theres nothing mechanically wrong, looks like a good deal to me
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:33 PM

Yeah its a salvage title he gave me the VIN. also everytime you renew your registration does it always show up the title status? cause in the Autocheck thing it said 3 salvages... and he told me the hood was bolted on by him, if it was done in a shop it wouldve been more neat.. if i dont get this car i guess i got to get that 2004 G35 coupe
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:47 PM

meh if you want an evo dont settle for something else just keep looking there are more out there with great deals specially how the economy is right now. i know around here some are selling thiers. have a personal friend that may be selling his soon.

g35 is a nice car but nothing like an evo man!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:58 PM

Yeah I agree^^^ don't settle for something you don't really want. You just have to be patient and look around. I'm sure you'll find a EVO and you will be happier with the EVO!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:49 PM

hey is the hood not shut or whats with the gap?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by sirsol
I really doubt its a "replica" evo as you mentioned, but it may or may not be a salvage title.

Call him and have him read you the vin number, and then immediately run it on carfax so you can understand the history.

In comparison to other similar year/mileage evos, the price does seem too low. Now, there ARE good deals out there, but take care that you don't get scammed.

Also, if you're not mechanically knowledgeable, have a local shop that you trust check the entire car for you. Compression test, leak down test, general inspection, etc. can go a long way to making sure you don't purchase a lemon. Good luck!
DON'T JUST CARFAX IT!!!! ALSO CALL THE DEALERSHIP AND HAVE THEM RUN THE VIN.

I'm sorry for the caps, but carfax is DEFINITELY not foolproof, and I found that out the hard way. The dealership can give you a more comprehensive break down about the car and the services its received.

However, this does sound super shady, 13,000 even for a salvaged title car seems like a pretty desperate price. It may be stolen or have swapped VINs. Be patient, and wait for a better car.

oh and it's taken, not "tooken"
Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Richardcvan
cause in the Autocheck thing it said 3 salvages... and he told me the hood was bolted on by him, if it was done in a shop it wouldve been more neat.. if i dont get this car i guess i got to get that 2004 G35 coupe

The guy is an idiot. Ive bolted hoods on many a car even my evo 2 or three times alone and never had gap issues.

RUN DONT WALK away from this car as fast as you can