Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Transmission fluid alternative?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid alternative?

Hey guys i checked my trans fluid earlier today and it was very low. Since its labor day weekend no dealers are open for me to get the proper fluid. Is there any alternative fluid that i can get aftermarket that is acceptable to top it off till wednesday of the upcoming week?

This is on a 9MR

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2010, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 240sxzenki
I'm using syncromesh yellow bottle selling at autozone for 7$ a bottle and works just fine.
bad idea. you should look to get that stuff out of your transmission ASAP. the only good alternatives you have are the fluid made by Amsoil, and the stuff dodge uses in the transmissions of the Neon SRT-4 and some of it's other vehicles. the amsoil fluid is NOT a direct equivalent, but it works. I used it for a while, but I swapped to the Dodge fluid which IS a direct equivalent. The amsoil fluid is GL-4 75W-90 which is what the 5 speed takes, but OEM and the Dodge fluid (which is also known as Syntorq) is 75W-85 full synthetic. It's cheaper than OEM, easier to find, and better because it's synthetic.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amsoil FTW.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ODUB
bad idea. you should look to get that stuff out of your transmission ASAP. the only good alternatives you have are the fluid made by Amsoil, and the stuff dodge uses in the transmissions of the Neon SRT-4 and some of it's other vehicles. the amsoil fluid is NOT a direct equivalent, but it works. I used it for a while, but I swapped to the Dodge fluid which IS a direct equivalent. The amsoil fluid is GL-4 75W-90 which is what the 5 speed takes, but OEM and the Dodge fluid (which is also known as Syntorq) is 75W-85 full synthetic. It's cheaper than OEM, easier to find, and better because it's synthetic.
Whats wrong with the syncromesh? I have read people had good experiences with it and my friend uses it in his evo without an issue.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
NOT A BAD IDEA. I don't have a six speed but have used Pennzoil Syncromesh in my trans for well over 100k. Trans is still OEM and shifts like butter. I use a 6-10k change interval.

In fact it was recommended to me years ago by Jon at TRE with the change interval I stated and I would not even consider another fluid at this point.

Please don't spew false BS on this forum

Last edited by gsrboi80; Sep 7, 2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:50 AM

I just use redline mt90
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

There is already a thread on evom about fluids for all parts of each evo. It specifies the differences between the fluid for the 5 and six speed with a few good options of each but they are not the same fluid. The six requres a different oil. I am using AMSoil since my clutch swap. Reverse doesnt like going in for some reason. It will be in and pop out sometimes with the fluid cold but when its warm there is no issue. I may be trying something else next time around. Anyway that thread will also give you all other fluid specs and options (tc, diffs, brakes) lots of info just search for it.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been running Pennzoil as well and like it a lot.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT 5 & 6 SPEED TRANSMISSIONS REQUIRE DIFFERENT WEIGHT FLUIDS

**YOU CAN USE 6 SPEED FLUID IN A 5 SPEED BUT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND**

here is the thread with lubricant specifications

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...uantities.html

hope that helps