Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Will The Evo Hold its value in the future like the Supra has??
Hell Yes it Will
26.00%
No, I wish. But its just not going to Happen...
62.67%
Good Question!
11.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Will the Evo be the next Supra??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Give it a few years; all those cars will be gone.
No they'll be around. But, the people who buy them for cheap will be in over their heads in terms of maintenance. They will probably not follow proper maintenance intervals and will proclaim that the Evo is unreliable. I see a lot of that now too. Kinda reminds me of local DSM people.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
Evo's will never ever ever ever be like a supra in terms of value.

I repeat ever.

They already sell for 11-13k with high mileage. Rarely do you even see people asking KBB value for them. It's already too late for any type of Supra like following.

The only rare evo's in the states would be a 2005 VIII MR and 2006 IX RS. There are only 1500 VIII MR's and 1000 IX RS's. Based on searching this is what I found. Reality is those cars aren't going to bring in the type of cash a supra does. You can just purchase a GSR or RS instead if you wanted a VIII from 2005.

This has been discussed before.

Keep in mind that Evo's were only sold from 03-06, which you already obviously know. More and more frequently, especially because of the price you can get them now, younger crows are able to get them and are destroying them much more frequently than one would like. There are only a limited number of of the VIII and XI's body style, and time is causing them to disappear due to the low cost of used entry now. I wouldn't doubt it if in a few more years you see the prices start to creap back up a bit due to the availability not being there anymore, or at least for nice examples.

I know I am keeping mine, and have already bought a second car for a daily driver, mostly because I still like mine, but in due time, I bet supply and demand will take over, lowered supply, and possibly a bigger demand because of the reducing supply. Now, I am certainly not thinking its an investment, very much not and certainly not the reason I am keeping mine, but it is possible although gertainly not to the level the Supras ever achieved.

I voted good question only because the Evo's were never produced in numbers like say the Integras were, and I imagine that from full production numbers shipped to the US, from 03-06, I would bet that 10-15% of all Evo's have been either wrecked, destroyed, blown up etc.. and the number is forever going to increase, thus reducing the supply..

Maybe I just haven't had enough of the Coffee yet this morning..

Last edited by tkklemann; Sep 10, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:42 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymouse
No they'll be around.
I'll take that bet.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I'll take that bet.
One million dollhair bet?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think that the EVO will ever be like the Supra. But I do believe that it wont loose it's value completely. Kind of like the 5.0L Mustangs - they're still selling for 8k+ for a decent one, even though they are 15+ years old.

I for one, am going to be keeping mine. I've got just under two years left to pay it off and then I'll most likely be stripping it down and making it "New" again a few months after that. The car is just unique and I enjoy it too much. That, and with it being a salvage title, I don't think I could ever get out of it.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

i doubt the evo will hold it values like the supra.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Anonymouse
I see the Evo going the way of the Civic. I already see dumbasses buying these cars and joining forums everyday because of how cheap '03's are getting.
+1 as the car gets cheaper over time it is easier for dumbass high school kids or ricers to acquire such a great vehicle

Last edited by Malik_EvoIX; Sep 10, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It will never be soon every ricer will be able to afford a evo.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VerbalKilla
Just curious too know what everyone here thinks. And by the tittle i mean, the supra is well respected from ANYONE who knows anything about cars.. Now.. So is the Evo. But will the evo's price also be respected like the Supras value? or do you guys think our cars will depreciate to the point where anyone can afford an EVO soon.

Just curious to know everyones thoughts.
It's already happening! High mileage Evo VIII's go cheap that any former riced out
Civic owners can afford to buy and turn it into a riced out lawn mower just like their Civic. This alone lowers down the value (and image) of Evos. Also, Evos are not as rare as Supras.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

More people will be able to afford it, but once the t-case, tranny, block, etc start to go they won't be able to afford it. It will be a sad sight to see Evos in a junkyard... I know mine is staying with me forever and a evo 9 is to
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:01 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LGshow19
More people will be able to afford it, but once the t-case, tranny, block, etc start to go they won't be able to afford it.
Bingo. It' not a Honda. Give this a few years (5-8), and the Evo population will decrease exponentially.

Too, we're talking about all Evos as parity products and they're not. Take a pristine low-mileage example in better than new condition and a typical chopped-up POS sporting a dressing gown. Guess which one will have a value in years to come?

Last edited by FJF; Sep 10, 2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Bingo. It' not a Honda. Give this a few years (5-8), and the Evo population will decrease exponentially.
got that right. people dont realize how much the parts for these cars cost. it adds up very quickly
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:36 AM

Evo keep their value You can get a Evo IX for like 20k with ok miles and VIII for 15k compare to 30k+ when they first came out.......... Supra MK4 can still go for 40K+ with low miles it’s a discontinued legend just like NSX I would love to think my car would have so trade-in value in 10year but I don’t think so
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:56 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brad_IX
Evo keep their value You can get a Evo IX for like 20k with ok miles and VIII for 15k compare to 30k+ when they first came out.......... Supra MK4 can still go for 40K+ with low miles it’s a discontinued legend just like NSX I would love to think my car would have so trade-in value in 10year but I don’t think so
A low mileage mint IX sells for ~$24-25K. New, the car cost ~$32K. That's ~75% of its original value ofter 4 years, before scarcity sets in. Before options, a Supra retailed for ~$40K. A fully optioned-out Supra is excellent condition with low miles for its age sold locally for ~$36K. Say, it was $45K MSRP conservatively. That's ~80% of its original value after ~15 years, when scarcity is in full force. What was your point?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:34 AM

I could see IX's, as well as VIII MR's and possibly RS's (despite taking a pretty big hit selling my 05 MR) holding value, but I don't think I could say the same about the bulk of VIII GSR's..

Quick Reply: Will the Evo be the next Supra??