Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ebay 3" catback T-304 Stainless Steel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay 3" catback T-304 Stainless Steel

I've been wanting a 3" catback to replace my stock exhaust for my 03 driver, is this exhaust on Ebay a bad deal in the making (shoddy materials or fit, and/or too loud) or could it actually work out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LANCE...item4139a8143f
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I helped a friend put one on. They're good for how much you pay. The down pipe fits terribly, but the catback is okay. Kinda heavy though. All in all, it's cheap, it's 3", it doesn't sound like crap and the fitment is better than a Megan.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:01 AM

My friend got an all ebay exhaust for his 06 WRX, the downpipe didn't fit very well (didnt mate up to cat-back portion (exhaust shop fixed) Other wise all the welds looked good, and it sounded great on his car. Its hit or miss with the ebay stuff either you luck out or you don't.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

It won't be loud since you don't have a testpipe yet and seems like it has a resonator too. I used to have a ebay cbe and i got some good gains. But if I were you, I would save up just a little more and get a better one. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...k-exhaust.html Good luck man
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to go the cheap route....check out surewinproducts on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.com/surewinproducts

With that said, I like my Apexi cat back + cobb downpipe + cobb test pipe.

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Sep 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought this exact exhaust for my old lancer. i liked it for the price. fitment was a bit off but no big deal. its kinda loud tho
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have the ebay exhaust on my evo, full turbo back. I can put up more details if necessary, but the gist of it:

-Downpipe fits well (no issues), and is tucked into the pan/T-case very tightly. This is both good (excellent ground clearance) and bad (heating up your oil/t-case fluid), but if you wrap the DP, I can't imagine the heat is much worse than the stock piece unwrapped.

-The DP gasket they give you is crap, its not even close to fitting. Use your oem one, I re-used mine (80K miles) and don't have a leak. If you're worried, buy a new one.

-Piping is FULL 3", with no tapers. Very happy with this.

-Test pipe/mid pipe section fits well. No issues. Hangers fit fine, no issues.

Only issue I had was the rear most portion. It fits ok, but sits just a tad too much to the left. The option is to slowly heat up and bend the hangers, but I ended up just trimming and re-welding an extension to one of the hangers to make it fit better, as I did not want to crack its weld to the piping but pulling it too much.

Also, the muffler clamp they give you is slightly loose. It won't rattle, but it also won't do much for keeping the muffler in place. The easy option is to just drill a new hole in the clamp, but again I was not really happy with the hanger so I just welded up another one on my exhaust.

Also, keep in mind that I bought this from surewin for $180 shipped. Even if you have a shop modify the hangers, it won't cost more than $50 I would imagine. So, a full 3" turbo back for less than $250 shipped. Also, there is a VERY large thread about this on this site, here's the link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eo-review.html

As for my exhaust, here's the hangers I cut and re-welded:

And the hanger I added to the muffler in place of the clamp:

Note: I'm not a welder, so don't laugh at my crappy welds.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Also just to add, if you live in a high salt area or up north where we get snow and they salt the roads its going to rust. The 3" mild steel from summit with aluminum coating or something like that doesnt have a spot of rust on it where the ebay catback I have is rusted like a ****. The muffler looks like it came goldish brown cuz of the rust. This is after one new england winter.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I will be coating mine anyways, so rust isn't a huge deal. I have access to an chassis spec powdercoating system, so I plan on coating the entire pipes before winter.

Just as a point though, I've had "ebay" exhausts on my GST, GSX, EP3, Integra, del sol, and mustang. All of them were the same "stainless" ones, and not a single one ever rusted on me. They DO discolor to the same goldish brown(as any lower-grade SS will), but I never had one actually rust. I had the exhaust system on my GST for over 4 years (5 michigan winters) and it performed like a champ. Just some food for thought.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:15 PM
JYD
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ll-thread.html

and my system is for sale...guaranteed fit.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rartist
I've been wanting a 3" catback to replace my stock exhaust for my 03 driver, is this exhaust on Ebay a bad deal in the making (shoddy materials or fit, and/or too loud) or could it actually work out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LANCE...item4139a8143f
Ive put 3 of these on so far and the biggest issue that i see is the hangers...you have to tweak them a bit to make it fit well otherwise it hangs a bit too low and the gap between the rear bumber and muffler is a bit too big.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm selling my Perrin V.1 catback for 300. It's a guranteed fitment and power proven. You won't ever have to worry about fitment issues. It's ceramic coated all the way except the tip so it's very stealthy.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Also keep in ming the flanges are cheap mild steel not even cheap ss lol and will rust fast. My car was a true dd when I had the ebay catback on and saw alot of snow/salt. Also the piping is thinner so will bend easier if you hit a spped bump or anything like that
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had it on my integra great exhaust for the price
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

i've had this exhaust on my car for almost a year from surewins and i would do it again in a heartbeat. dp hits your acd and needs to be hammered

Quick Reply: Ebay 3" catback T-304 Stainless Steel