Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Making the evo more fun at the track

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the evo more fun at the track

So I just took my Evo 8 to Summit Point last week for a track day for the first time on any track and it was a blast. Needless to say, I'm hooked. One concern I had was a mushy brake pedal on the last session, but I've read that this is most likely a brake fluid issue so I'm not too concerned. It's also starting to grind really bad going into 4th and 5th on a high rpm shift. I'm most likely going to take the car to CBRD to get everything checked out. I realize that I definitely need some better tires, brakes, suspension, etc but I'm unsure what to get. Since I am so new at this, my question is: what mods, specifically, would you recommend to make this car more fun at the track?

My current mods are listed below:

CBRD BBK Full Ported Turbo
CBRD Evo IX Turbo Adapter Kit
CBRD Race FMIC
CBRD LICP
Megan O2 Housing
PTE 780 Injectors
Perrin Intake
GSC S1 Cams
Invidia Downpipe
Cobb High-Flow Cat
DC Sports CBE
Hallman Pro FX MBC
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
Evo IX MR Diverter Valve
O2 Sensor Spacer
Shifter Bushings
Underhood Shifter Bushings
Clutchmasters Dual Plate Clutch

Last edited by stealthyevoviii; Sep 16, 2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stealthyevoviii
Since I am so new at this, my question is: what mods, specifically, would you recommend to make this car more fun at the track?
Very simple - good brake fluid, pads, and most important - more seat time. Don't waste any more money on mods - plenty fast and as you increase your skills, you'll figure out what to tweak as far as suspension
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
For the mushy pedal try SS braided brake lines and a better fluid like motul or amsoil, and upgrade your pads for something with a higher MOT. For the grinding between shifts the first suggestion is slow your shifts down. Also SS braided clutch lines, as those fluids and rubber hoses will suffer the same effects from heat as your brake lines. Perform proper maintainence by changing oil and all driveline fluids before (and after if your really ****) your session. I'm hoping to make it out to summit point soon, maybe I'll see you there.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by stealthyevoviii
I realize that I definitely need some better tires, brakes, suspension, etc but I'm unsure what to get. Since I am so new at this, my question is: what mods, specifically, would you recommend to make this car more fun at the track?
I'm an instructor with NASA and Chin in the FL region. I hear this question all the time. Most people start thinking about more power, etc. Forget about all that. All you need is better fluid and better pads. I suggest Motul 600 for the fluid and some intermediate/advance pads. If you're really serious, I suggest that you skip intermediate pads and go to full race. Something like Performance Friction 01 or Hawk DTC-60's (they are expensive!). Intermediate compounds will be fine for a while, but will likely fail again as you move from novice to intermediate. As for tires, most experienced instructors recommend staying on street tires for a while. Street tires give you more feedback (mostly audible feedback) before they let go; they are just better for inexperience drivers. So I'd avoid R-compound tires until you become a good HPDE-3 driver, at least. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:12 AM
.MM
Evolved Member

suspension!! TIRES!

your car seems to be all grunt and no handling

handling over power
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
For the mushy pedal try SS braided brake lines and a better fluid like motul or amsoil, and upgrade your pads for something with a higher MOT. For the grinding between shifts the first suggestion is slow your shifts down. Also SS braided clutch lines, as those fluids and rubber hoses will suffer the same effects from heat as your brake lines. Perform proper maintainence by changing oil and all driveline fluids before (and after if your really ****) your session. I'm hoping to make it out to summit point soon, maybe I'll see you there.
I was definitely thinking about doing all those things haha. Is Castrol SRF brake fluid overkill?

Originally Posted by spericas
I'm an instructor with NASA and Chin in the FL region. I hear this question all the time. Most people start thinking about more power, etc. Forget about all that. All you need is better fluid and better pads. I suggest Motul 600 for the fluid and some intermediate/advance pads. If you're really serious, I suggest that you skip intermediate pads and go to full race. Something like Performance Friction 01 or Hawk DTC-60's (they are expensive!). Intermediate compounds will be fine for a while, but will likely fail again as you move from novice to intermediate. As for tires, most experienced instructors recommend staying on street tires for a while. Street tires give you more feedback (mostly audible feedback) before they let go; they are just better for inexperience drivers. So I'd avoid R-compound tires until you become a good HPDE-3 driver, at least. Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the advice!

Originally Posted by .MM
suspension!! TIRES!

your car seems to be all grunt and no handling

handling over power
All I cared about before was power since the car felt pretty well setup suspension and brake-wise stock and I only ever drove it on the street, until I went to the track that is. I now know how important tires and suspension are going around the track I did really turn the boost down the first couple sessions to get the lines down but I could definitely tell that tires and suspension would cut down my times a lot.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Stainless lines, high temp fluid, and some cooling ducts and youll be set up.

As for tires i would say just go on tirerack and get the stickiest cheep tires you can find youll wear them out fast and even faster as youre learning how to race
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why dont you come and sit down with us,

we can get you exactly what you need!

afterall, thats what we do!

cb
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:47 AM

If it's pure fun you're looking for, it sounds like a TRE or Sheptrans rear diff is your best bet!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by CBRD
why dont you come and sit down with us,

we can get you exactly what you need!

afterall, thats what we do!

cb
Sounds good I was planning on coming up tomorrow after work. I'll see you guys then.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Tires and more seat time will do loads more than pouring more money in to suspension.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:10 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lttletimmy
If it's pure fun you're looking for, it sounds like a TRE or Sheptrans rear diff is your best bet!
You're serious aren't you?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by chu
What's your problem? He asks for mods that make the car more fun, I recommend something that everyone who's gotten it says increases the fun factor of the car on the track. I'm not seeing your issue, and even if you disagree with me, no need to be a dick about it.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
why wouldn't he be? upgraded rear diffs are starting to pick up lately and are one of the biggest factors in changing how the evo handles. not to mention the ones where you upgrade the stocker, like tre and shep, are fairly inexpensive.

some reviews here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ound-here.html
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

ohlin coilovers & swaybarzz!