Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got rear ended, have some questions!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got rear ended, have some questions!

Last night on my way home from dinner I was rear ended, what I'm curious about is replacing parts. I've read about people getting JDM bumpers out of situations like this, can I tell the body shop that's the part I want, or do I just have the insurance company cut me a check for repairs and then I buy the parts I need and have the body shop do their repairs?

Also will need a new tail light and exhaust...

Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
With an impact like that there may be more damage under the panels.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Have the insurance cut you a check for the damages that way you can buy/ find parts on evoM cheaper than anywhere else except for that quarter panel, the body might have to order that part unless someone is selling one on here.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch i would have insurance check it out and get money from there insurance then go nutz and buy jdm rear bumper jdm tail lights. ams exhaust FTW. if everything elts goes right! gl
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Nice, that is what I had in mind but it's my first accident so I was not sure. Also, the girl who hit me was super cute and wants to take me to dinner because she feels so bad, haha. Best accident ever!

edit: just went and looked at it in good lighting, trunk is damaged also
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:46 AM

Yes you can get JDM parts out of it..

Basically what happens is the other persons Insurance and yours estimate and battle over how much the repairs are going to be.

From there they issue their quote statement. Once it is approved they send over a Check. This is when you can decided to buy or put on any parts you want as long as it doesn't go over the price.

Or you can throw down some extra cash to cover the expense if need be.

Just a word of advice I HIGHLY recommend for you to get a Lawyer with a crash like that. MANY times when you take it upon yourself you get shafted and have to deal with hard a$$es from the other persons insurance company.

Lawyer will put them straight and make sure you get the necessary compensation.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

take your car to a reputable shop... Have them battle it out with the insurance company. Tell them you want to be made whole and ask them how you can get into a JDM rear. They may be the same money and might not be an issue to get you one.

I would not advise taking a check until the car has been THOROUGHLY examined. again, best to take it to a shop. They will know better how to deal with the insurance company than you will. the insurance company is hoping you take the check and they don't hear from you again. I would doubt all damaged would be picked up by the adjuster. You can take the check and bring it with the car to a shop.... likely there will be a supplemental
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MetalSpoolDoom

Just a word of advice I HIGHLY recommend for you to get a Lawyer with a crash like that. MANY times when you take it upon yourself you get shafted and have to deal with hard a$$es from the other persons insurance company.

Lawyer will put them straight and make sure you get the necessary compensation.

Your insurance company will represent you in a situation like this, no need for a lawyer. if it comes to it, your insurance, assuming you have collision, will front the money and fight the other party/insurance to get reimbursed
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Just don't deposit any check until you are in full agreement. Once you do, it's done and no going back if stuff was left out that needs fixing.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my car was in an insurance claim, I worked with the General Manager of the body shop who did the work on my car. I told them I would instruct them what parts were to go on my car. As long as they received parts and were paid, they didn't car what aftermarket parts when on the car. If a part was more, I bought it myself.

At the end of the repairs, I ended up getting a check back for the difference of any parts I supplied to the shop.

With a rear end damaged like that, the harness for the bumper probably won't be good to use, but you can still have the shop repair your Evo back to good, just have them use a JDM rear bumper and if you want JDM tail lights.

I had the insurance company write me a check for the estimated damages. Another check was written when the actual bill came and more funds were required. I was made whole again and had some pretty trick JDM parts put on my car.

Good luck!

P.S. the wing always survives!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joemflsxe
Nice, that is what I had in mind but it's my first accident so I was not sure. Also, the girl who hit me was super cute and wants to take me to dinner because she feels so bad, haha. Best accident ever!

edit: just went and looked at it in good lighting, trunk is damaged also
nice!!! if your gonna get hit might as well get a girl out of it =) good luck

lucky dog
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

I got t boned and the insurance gave me a check. I found the part that i needed for cheap and rest of the money is mine.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

hope that girl does alot more than take u out to dinner! *wink wink
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by white_evo27
hope that girl does alot more than take u out to dinner! *wink wink
Lol!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts