Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Perrin CC Question and Concerns

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perrin CC Question and Concerns

i bought a EVO 8 project car that runs very well and pulls very hard howerver after i let off boost a thick cloud of smoke comes out of exhaust that smells like oil, so i did some research and it seems to be pointing back to the can, here is the link to the topic HERE and for the people that dont want to read all of it i will link the question and a couple responses because it explains my issue 100%

Question:

when i hit boost and let off the gas to slow down a huge amount of smoke comes out of the exhaust. The longer i hold boost the more smoke comes out....its not a ring cus the smoke is not a bluish white its more of a whitish grey type smoke

Response 1:

OK, good, sounds like the motor is fine, but you're puking oil out the pipe.

Are you using the stock breather set-up, or are you running a set of catch-cans? Either way, here's what I'd do: swap out all your rubber breather lines for 5/8ths ID hose and make sure the PCV valve is working properly. That will ensure that you are adequately venting the CC pressure. Get rid of those small breather lines and any small fittings or T's! If this is the problem, it's a 15 minute fix - I know, been there, done that.

ANY excessive crankcase pressure that is unvented will cause the turbo oil return line to back up, leaving you with a James Bond smoke machine on throttle lift. Also, make damn sure the turbo oil return line drains down, with NO upward bends in it. Garrett BB turbos are notorious for puking oil if there is too much CC pressure, or if there is not adequate drainage flow.

Response 2:

[COLOR=blue]That is the problem, amigo, trust me on this. That caused me incredible grief (and a LOT of money) until we finally changed the lines and solved the problem. Go to a plumbing supply store and get some 5/8" plastic elbows, drill out the CC holes to fit, and then swap out all the lines and other fittings for 5/8" and you'll stop the oil puke provided the turbo drains properly and you have the right sized restriction pill in the oil ine.

However, you'll need to clean out (just use gas) all the charge pipes and the I/C since there will be lots of oil in them, and pull the intake off and clean out any oil that pooled up in the front of the turbo. When Garrett's don't drain well, they generally puke oil out the front piston and then it gets sucked through the turbo on its way back into the intake

so after reading that i decided to poke around and see if maybe it just wasnt installed correctly and here are some things that i found that solify that the about may be the issue.

i removed the catch can and realised that it has never accumulated enough oil to to even cover the bottom surface

there is oil pooling in the intake pipe before turbo

the hose that is connected to the inside of "inlet" hole on CC is missing

sorry for the lengthy post and i thank you all in advance for your help

Last edited by EVO8SSL; Sep 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM.