Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RHD JDM Evo IX? Oh god...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHD JDM Evo IX? Oh god...

I say the oh god part since I know I will most likely catch some **** for this.

I want a RHD JDM IX. I've looked and looked and talked to some exporters I've dealt with over the years and can source a JDM IX, but I haven't been able to find any info from RI's (registered importers) or anyone that has done it. I've heard of people doing RHD conversions, but I'm not interested in such a thing if I can just bring in a 06 IX from japan.

So money not being an issue, does anyone know the path of importing current model cars from japan that are also being made in the USDM market? I'm currently waiting on a response from a Mitsu rep that one RI pointed me towards, but it's been a few days and I feel like he may just blow me off. I was thinking I should be good with a stock EVO IX, DOT glazed windows, cats and going through an emissions test. I haven't found anything showing that I need to add any safety features for the IX such as any additional support beams, but then again it seems that no one, or not many have done this.

Any info would be awesome.

And I already have a EVO IX, so saying that I should just get one in the states will not answer the question.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
a jdm legal ix is different from a usdm legal ix

this is why we have usdm ix's

one difference easily notable is the jdm ix rear (jdm cars do not have a rear crash beam)

they also have different emissions regulations (anti-lag)

you will not be able to do it legally...period
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

the best thing you can do is swap the front clip and dash
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:02 AM

So is the only real issue emissions? If emissions are the only true issue, it's not impossible, just expensive. This isn't a matter of having an evo, but having a truly rare evo. If a Evo XII can make it in, I don't see why an Evo IX can't
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I just stated above their crash test restrictions are different as well

they don't have a rear crash beam...I don't believe they have a front crash beam either (not positive)

any vii in the states is not 100% street legal...maybe under a track exemption or a show car exemption but the reality is the amount of things that would need to be changed is silly
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:07 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
^----- This

I was looking into this as well before I got my X. Every path I went down was a dead end. If you're more persistent, maybe you can find a way. But to my knowledge it isn't possible. Good luck.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
I just stated above their crash test restrictions are different as well

they don't have a rear crash beam...I don't believe they have a front crash beam either (not positive)

any vii in the states is not 100% street legal...maybe under a track exemption or a show car exemption but the reality is the amount of things that would need to be changed is silly
yea no front crash beam either
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

US emissions has the strictest rules/regulations in the world. basically trying to legalize a European/Japanese car is near impossibe. we have so many systems that are integrated with OBDII and ECU you would have to swap literally everything. importing a car is one thing. legalizing it is a different animal
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:36 AM

Look into the "show or display" exception on import regulations, that may be the loophole you need, however you'll be very restricted on the number of miles you are allowed to drive the car annually.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

well in 2031 there should be absolutely no problem importing your uber rare IX. but you don't have to worry about that cause in 2012 the world is gonna end anyway.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

you could just buy one now, put it in storage and wait 25 years until its legal here
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I wanted to do this too. IF and IF you can bring the car over (without having to chop it in half) you can ONLY use it for track or show purposes. So putting it on the streets is a no go....
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
import to canada and drive it over then get a salvage title off a nine and should be good to go if your state doesnt require Salvage Vehicle Examination should be set.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:58 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRolla
import to canada and drive it over then get a salvage title off a nine and should be good to go if your state doesnt require Salvage Vehicle Examination should be set.

Nop. you can't import it here to canada. jdm need to be a least 15 years older and here in quebec we can no longer liscence them so it is a no go.....
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes no sense to drive a RHD car on a LHD country. Unless you drive a postal car

Quick Reply: RHD JDM Evo IX? Oh god...