Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

blue smoke at high rpm shift???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blue smoke at high rpm shift???

today when i pulled out of my driveway and punched through 1st gear i looked behind and saw a puff of smoke come out my exhaust with a blueish tint to it... i know black is running rich and blue is oil, but this only happened once, and i havent seen the blue smoke except for that one time... is it weird that i pulled through the gears a couple times and it magically disappeared? my evo is an 03 and has a decent chunk of miles on it roughly 7x,xxx miles... this is on a FP Black setup that is only 1 month old and has about 3,000 miles on it now... any suggestions? possible valve seal or headgasket leak?

im hoping this was a one time thing and nothing serious
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

checked my oil and everything is good... slightly confused? anything else i could check?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
could be the turbo...you never know
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

id suggest having someone else drive your car. have them get on it and you look at the color yourself.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Valve guide, piston ring, or turbo oil seal are the most likely causes.

Also: was your car at full operating temperature when you floored it?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Blown head gasket?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
Valve guide, piston ring, or turbo oil seal are the most likely causes.

Also: was your car at full operating temperature when you floored it?
This is the proper question.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:22 PM

Hi are you running a catch can piped back to the intake?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
to be honest now i cant remember if it was fully warmed up... can someone explain what the difference? just curious..
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sgounaro
Hi are you running a catch can piped back to the intake?

i dont have a catch can... my intake is blocked off and im running a breather filter
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MechTech
+2

General reason is that the metals are not up to temperature yet, meaning they have yet to expand to full size (remember metal expands when heated) this would allow oil in the crankcase also to possibly blow by the rings, into the chamber, combust and out the exhaust, likely that once the car warmed up this was sealed enough to not allow blow by.

What I have understood about turbo cars is that it is a reasonable/smart idea to stay out of boost (stay in vacuum) until the engine is up to full operating temperature. This is what I do for my 96k+ evo, and I just had the engine oil analyzed with great results. It helps living on a mile or so country road, I poke out of my driveway down the road, and never put my foot down until I am a good few miles away, and have been up to operating water (and oil) temperatures before going into boost at all... takes discipline [/lecture]
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassicfun
+2

General reason is that the metals are not up to temperature yet, meaning they have yet to expand to full size (remember metal expands when heated) this would allow oil in the crankcase also to possibly blow by the rings, into the chamber, combust and out the exhaust, likely that once the car warmed up this was sealed enough to not allow blow by.

What I have understood about turbo cars is that it is a reasonable/smart idea to stay out of boost (stay in vacuum) until the engine is up to full operating temperature. This is what I do for my 96k+ evo, and I just had the engine oil analyzed with great results. It helps living on a mile or so country road, I poke out of my driveway down the road, and never put my foot down until I am a good few miles away, and have been up to operating water (and oil) temperatures before going into boost at all... takes discipline [/lecture]
^Read it and learn it

Please do not beat on your car when it is not warmed up...if you treat her nice she will too in return.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
+2

Agreed 100%, this is the proper way a turbo car should be driven.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Think of driving your car like trying to please a woman. You don't just jump in there go at it full throttle, you need to warm her up before you mash the pedal in the carpet

Quick Reply: blue smoke at high rpm shift???