Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Changing your oil too much is bad!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Would those "important impurities" be water, gasoline, sludge and dirt?

There are important additives. Years ago Pennzoil let go a batch of engine oil without antioxidant. My engine oil turned to sludge. When I had my engine torn down and as I was busy removing this thick layer of baked on oil, it smelled like hot buttered pot corn in front of a movie house. I had my car back on the road before Pennzoil announced they were buying users new engines.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i change mine every 3 weeks but i drive my car hard
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really hope this is not the case, but I do not think I do anything too excessive. My oil always looks black when I change it and I agree it depends how it is driven.

I use 5W30 Royal Purple in the winter and 10W30 in the summer with K&N oil filter (I like the nut on the end so you can get it off easily).
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ryukinevo
I really hope this is not the case, but I do not think I do anything too excessive. My oil always looks black when I change it and I agree it depends how it is driven.

I use 5W30 Royal Purple in the winter and 10W30 in the summer with K&N oil filter (I like the nut on the end so you can get it off easily).

Royal purple was actually a good oil up untill 2 years ago, have you ever dissasembled an engne that had royal used? all the parts are coated with a film like substance.. some may thinks thats a good thing but that film turns to a sludge and is like an artery resrtictor.

i would imagine anything too excessive is not good.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
I change the oil in my car every 500-1000 miles, because I only drive my car about 500-1000 miles per year. (one oil change a year)
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilT78supra
Mostly from forums, you can't get a straight answers... The best reason, it makes sense... Most oils need a few thousand for chemicals to correctly bond.

I encourage you to do the research.
I am a chemist that works for an oil/natural gas company, and this makes zero sense. Granted my areas of expertise are in crude oil, etc, but still the chemical makeup of the oil itself won't change to a favorable molecule or something after a certain amount of wear.

If anything, changing your oil more frequently is better for the car. Less breakdown of chemical detergents and additives, removes a good deal of contaminants before they wash through the system multiple times. The oil you put in your car is generally made up of longer chain heavy hydrocarbons (standard motor oil), those bonds are weak forces, and high heat and wear tend to break them down. This break down process leads to the degradation of the wear and adhesion properties of the motor oil.

Unless you give me some chemical makeup of oil (whatever synthetic you are using) that has a proven cross reaction with another molecule in the oil to form a favorable lubrication end product, I will have to call B.S. on this one...

I am open to be proven wrong, but I would like to see a link or some hard evidence before I buy it. Also, real evidence doesn't count as someone on a forum saying, they heard it from some guy who is brothers with the guy who works on cars.

Last edited by buchnerj; Sep 23, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilT78supra
Read up and this sounds true, to change your oil excessively it removes important impurities that prolong bearing life!!

How many of us have blow an engine with a week old oil change?!

I know I have..
1) Arguements could be made for anything--- as for your motor, could be you beat on it too much and the oil change you did wasn't enough to save it from the abuse you laid on it.
2) As for waiting on oil changes sounds like a gamble-- if it was true, your oil breaking down would be a good thing not a bad thing--counter to what we are told today--when the oil breaks down it loses its ability to protect your motor, thats why you change it.
3) If it was good to have bearing bits floating around in your oil from wear as stated in an earlier post because it fills in cylinder was or adds to bearing life as a lube of some kind--then why wouldn't driving more on that same oil- used-well broken in oil -- be a benefit?
4)Its been proven in the Amzoil threads thru their test labs that oils have a limited life and impurities--- as in, ingredients not in oil-- are deterimental to oil life and its effectiveness.
5) Oil isn't going to save an abused engine, reseal cylinder walls or help a bad bearing.
6) Oil life is abouts it effectiveness to prevent wear , not enhance the properties of wear to be a beneift to your motor. Some oil company would have jumped all over this pitch in its ads if it were true--plain and simple.

Last edited by meckert; Sep 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually read something to this effect from some info from Mobile 1 that we got at the dealership. This was a year ago so no I dont have the info nor did I really read it all because at the time I didnt believe into that. It was mostly stating that there is one additive or chemical that when left a bit longer will protect better. It wasnt saying that leaving it forever was better, just that a bit longer than the usual 3k service intervals. I think they were saying 5-7k actually. The point they were making was that there is a point of diminishing returns, after those 5-7k the additive in question will breakdown so its just saying you can leave it in a Bit longer everytime and you will be better off as compared to more frequent changes. No I cant remeber exactly which additive it was btw, sorry.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you know when you start a car after an oil change and it sounds like a bag of marbles? thats a combination of the piston skirts beating on the cylinder walls and the main/rod bearings with no hydrodynamic wedge slamming the crank journals. slightly dirty oil is better for your motor than that.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

if you drive your car reguarly (not like speed racer) just follow the service intervals. If you do drive the car hard often or track it every 2000-3000 miles will be fine
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

My Evo is my DD. I change it every 3000 miles because I love it.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
you know when you start a car after an oil change and it sounds like a bag of marbles? thats a combination of the piston skirts beating on the cylinder walls and the main/rod bearings with no hydrodynamic wedge slamming the crank journals. slightly dirty oil is better for your motor than that.
My car has never ever sounded like that after an oil change. Even if i forget to add some to the new oil filter.

for the record every 2500 miles here mobil 1
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylineracer
My car has never ever sounded like that after an oil change. Even if i forget to add some to the new oil filter.

for the record every 2500 miles here mobil 1
not specifically the evo, some cars are louder than others. either way, audible or not its not good. 2,500 miles is fine. i just wouldnt do oil changes every 500 miles or something stupid like that on a street car.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!! Really OP??

Nice theory, but fail.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

No

Quick Reply: Changing your oil too much is bad!?