Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AEM UEGO install = Feedback Noise!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM UEGO install = Feedback Noise!

I recently installed an AEM UEGO gauge in my evo 8, and used the cig lighter for power and ground. This resulted in a really horrible buzz/feedback sound as soon as the radio is powered on. I then changed the power and ground to the radio harness where all my other gauges are powered and the same result. I then tried using all different ground in the dash and that didn't help at all.

To bypass the entire radio/cig area I ran wires directly to the positve and negative bat terminals and the noise was reduced but still present when then radio was on. I installed a ground loop isolater in my rca's for my system and that seemed to help but when i completely disconnect the rca's from the amps the noise goes away completely. Maybe bad rca's?? (they are older expensive stinger ones)

I'm now stumped and don't know what to do haha. Where did all you guys/gals hook up your power and ground for your UEGO Gauge. Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

what kind of amps do you have?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Does it still do it without the UEGO connected?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUMP I just encountered the same problem, I also have decent amount of noise in general while driving.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

My UEGO (and other 2 gauges) are daisy chained together and the hot is connected to the ignition switch and the ground is a typical ground under a screw.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spooldursti
my uego (and other 2 gauges) are daisy chained together and the hot is connected to the ignition switch and the ground is a typical ground under a screw.
+1
Old Jul 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem. I have the stock stereo and im getting the power from the keyed on power from the radio harness.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for an answer.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

got my power of the cig lighter and no problems
Old Aug 1, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

I didnt find the problem, but avoided it. The previous owner had a bunch of audio/double din done to the vehicle. I bypassed everything and went straight to the battery + and - and it appears to work fine. Just cannot keep it plugged in or it will drain my battery. Will work for tuning purposes.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:40 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same problem in my X for a while but never had a problem in my IX. Maybe because the IX had an aftermarket stereo that was already choked. I added a small choke to the dash deck and a larger one to the two power wires for the amp and toned the noise down, but I wanted to get the noise settled for accuracy and reduction of interference.

A ground loop would only provide feedback when the car was running. I could definitely reproduce and hear the heater when the car was in the on position but not running, and could definitely eliminate it by unplugging the wideband. I tried isolating the power only and ground only but neither worked. The only thing that worked was going straight to the battery with 14ga wire and triggering from a relay using the connection that was previously powering the unit. The sound is finally gone!

In the process of solving this I found out that you can, unfortunately, ground through the serial ground on the OP2.0. Oops! Luckly it only cleared the SD card and didnt destroy the OP2.

Originally Posted by j255c
Just cannot keep it plugged in or it will drain my battery. Will work for tuning purposes.
FYI -if you leave the sensor in the exhaust and it is not plugged in you will ruin it.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:46 PM

I have all 3 of my gauges vampired into the power for the stock gauge setup and grounded to one of the gold screws behind the stock radio location. Have an aftermarket jvc deck, no feedback noise issues here

If your power cable for the amp is ran on the same side of your car as the rca's thats your problem!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Widebands need to be grounded very well. You'll notice the stronger the ground the less noise. Find a fastener on the chassis and sand a small bit if paint off the area for a solid ground!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ReidFletcher
Widebands need to be grounded very well. You'll notice the stronger the ground the less noise. Find a fastener on the chassis and sand a small bit if paint off the area for a solid ground!
Ditto! I did a post on this issue several years ago. In short, this problem came up in the AEM tech forums. Their engineers emphasized that wide-bands operate on millivolts, and should not be grounded together with any other devices or gauges. Nor should they be grounded nearby any other device grounds. They also recommended that the power should not be on the same line as radio equipment, or other gauges. ( If I recall correctly, the Evo radio and cigarette lighter are on the same circuit.) I located the ground for my AEM UEGO as far as I could from any other ground connections, and then ran a separate braided ground strap from there to the floor pan. I also ran a dedicated power wire from the under-the-dash fuse box to the UEGO. I'm aware that others have successfully used a different setup, but I have never had any issues at all, and there is absolutely no radio noise. Hopes this helps shed a little light on this problem.