Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Center console

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center console

Does anyone know of...or is there a JDM version of our center console that attaches to the dash board? I have a few gauges and some other doo dads I need a place for and its such a waste of valuable ergonomic space to have such an inefficent center console that doesnt attach to the dash and it leaves that sort of worthless pocket under the A/C controls...Id like to simply have a center console that attaches to the dash so I can put some gauges in, switches radar etc...if I cant find it I may go totally custom and do it myself with fiberglass or maybe even carbon fiber...but Im not sure it will look so hot blending into the dash...
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:11 PM
In Timeout

Pay someone to remold your center console (the silver piece) in carbon fibre. Move your cd player in the glovebox or move your gauges there.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

I may do that and thats not a bad idea...but I have one of those alpine flip up face things...so I need it where I can see it...I was thinking of using even a center console from another car and modifying it......we have enough space to have a decent sized armrest and armrest storage...I just think that space in the center right up to the dash can be use better...and get some decent cupholders...where ours are just arent comfy
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

THis is the JDM GSR centre console layout. 2 din on top and climate control below.... Should be quite easy to get from any JDM parts dealer....
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry forgot to attach the pic... hey how do u attach multiple pics??
Attached Thumbnails Center console-cimg0217.jpg  
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Cabin view
Attached Thumbnails Center console-cimg0228.jpg  
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Changy I appreciate the pictures...I agree its a better solution...but look at the space thats wasted from the cigarette lighter.ashtray....if it was attached to the dash, you would gain all that space right up to that first DIN space...to put gauges etc...it looks as if there could be an application..I keep looking..I may end up having to make a custom piece....My idea if I were to fabricate would be to change the enitre center console..with a longer bigger armrest more room storage bigger better located cup holders...most cars today have very useful center consoles...but the evo lacks here
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Haha yea thats true... I remembe sitting in a Evo 5 where the aircon controls were at the passenger side glovebox becos the centre console was full of guages and "racing" stuff. Hell of an inconvenience to the driver having to lean over everytime to adjust the aircon...
Old Nov 28, 2003, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

I just want to make it all very functional and useable...any ideas on how what and design?
Old Nov 28, 2003, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

let me know what you figure Pesto... I was thinking about just finding a good f/glass man to recreate a center console and mold where the ash tray and lighter is. If you did that you can put you climate controls there at an angle and have everything above

maybe even move the 1st din higher up...
those Civic, integra boys have done **** like that for years now, it should be too difficult to figure it out once you know how many gauges you will be installing etc

just my $0.02
Old Nov 28, 2003, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

is the A/C control running off vacuum? if so its a major ***** to change
Old Nov 28, 2003, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Pesto360
is the A/C control running off vacuum? if so its a major ***** to change
i dont think so... i vaguely remember when i ripped my console apart to install the headunit. Dont recall seeing any vacumm lines. And it seemed like it could be moved 6-8 inchs without having to rewire anything.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 07:44 AM
In Timeout

The AC controls run of cables. Just did it.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Can't be much help here, but I did want to chime in and let you know I'm anxious to see what you can get done here.

The center console definitely isn't the strongest point of the car. I'm not a smoker and the wasted space with the tray and lighter and crappy placing of cup holders just doesn't sit well with me in day to day driving.

Please keep us informed if you find a solution and let the guy know who does it - "Don't break the mold".
Old Nov 28, 2003, 08:31 AM

check this site out: http://www.tatomotorsports.com/home.asp