Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Starting problems round 2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a ground that goes to a bolt that I assume is one of the bolts that holds the trans to the engine. It goes from there to the negative terminal on the battery. I'll post the diagram later. Also today so far no start up issues. I will use jumper cables or something to test the ground and the 12v to the starter if it keeps acting up along with polishing the housing of the starter and where it attaches to the car.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its working fine today. id say you moved a loose (wire/ground/important connection) when you were removing and replacing batteries. i have a 03 btw and it doesn't have a ground to the tranny,but more grounds cant hurt.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a similar issue on my Eclipse a couple of years ago. It drove me nuts trying to track down the issue. It ended up being a corroded ground wire that wasn't fully grounding all the time.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
I think we can all agree it's some sort of ground issue. I think if it doesn't get better after cleaning up all the possible grounds I will just run another ground to the bolts near the starter
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Back then when I was working for CSK auto, we test starters for free. Some starter comes in with problem with the bandex. Pretty much the starter gear. Even with the solenoid is working and everything, you can hear the click, but the gear will not spin, or it does spin but does protrude/extend/popup to catch the flywheel. Thus you can hear the starter click but car won't start.

I know you got a new starter, but there are quality issues with some products. Some times when we have to restock the inventory, I've seen used starters, and alternators in brand new boxes.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

the only thing with that is why does it work when u just rock the car back and forth in gear or let it roll a tiny bit and pop the clutch to move the flywheel.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

ok update, i lifted the car again and tried grounding the starter case to the negative terminal with no success but i did measure the voltage across the solenoid, the signal wire again i tested in-case and got 12v the hot wire got 12v but the other side of the solenoid only measured .4v when trying to start. SO i guess the solenoid is screwed??? so i am currently breaking apart my old starter to check if the solenoid contacts are dirty etc..
Old Dec 8, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Any update on this?? I'm running in to the same problem...It wont crank over some times, all I here is click,click. When this happens I turn the key to the on position multiple times till it cranks over. It took me like 15 try's last night till it finally cranked...it's really pissing me off.
I changed the starter, recharged the battery and it still does it.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

does anyone have a diagram of all the grounds to be checked? Also where is the starter relay. I just took my starter down to autozone it "failed." Was working fine a week ago. What gives?!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Does everything here look normal?
Attached Thumbnails Starting problems round 2-photo.jpg  
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylineracer
umm i'll check the clutch switch but that makes little sense cause i hear the solenoid click every time that means i am past the clutch switch kill. and i don't hear the solenoid click back until i let go of the key. regardless i'll check with another battery just cause its an easy test.
i can say from experience that the solenoid can engage the starter gear but not turn even when the clutch switch is bad. a solid state relay is used to send power to the solenoid. those kinds of relays can let a bit of power thru even in the off condition.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:05 PM

yup sounds like the crank sensor id replace that
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'm also having this same issue. Actually sitting in a parking lot waiting for a jump from my friend and reading this haha replaced battery already... ran fine for a week and back to same bs. I'm thinking ground also... I've chekced most but I'm sure I'm missing some.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

updating this old thread, found out it was the stupid alarm's ignition wire cut relay had crapped out.