Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Starting problems round 2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problems round 2

I have been having starting problems for a long time now with my car.

Changed starter nope, polished the crap out of the terminals on the batt and starter nope, had the battery checked at advanced (genesis small batt) chked out ok to them.

It cranks over fine like 2 out of 3 times. when it doesn't start i just put it in reverse and push and pull the car back and forth. this makes it start in one shot, sometimes turning the key over a few times does it.

IDK what else to chk, i am guessing its the battery what do you guys think?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
bump?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

bump?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the issue with some after-market clutches I've heard about. There's quite a few people who have this same issue and have to rock their car to be able to start it. I can't remember if there was even a way to fix it though.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
Sounds like the issue with some after-market clutches I've heard about. There's quite a few people who have this same issue and have to rock their car to be able to start it. I can't remember if there was even a way to fix it though.
this was going on before the twin, i was on stock before same thing
Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylineracer
this was going on before the twin, i was on stock before same thing
That is pretty odd then. Only thing else I could really think of might be a corroded battery cable, not on the ends, but actually under the protective sheath of it. I don't know how common that is, but I have seen it before on some cars.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
That is pretty odd then. Only thing else I could really think of might be a corroded battery cable, not on the ends, but actually under the protective sheath of it. I don't know how common that is, but I have seen it before on some cars.
i hope not, the cable ends look gd but who knos.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was the cable then why does rocking it help? There's something else going on..mayb with a sensor. Crank angel or cam angel might be faulty. So when you turn the key it cranks just doesn't fire correct? So your either missing fuel or spark or both. Check to see if your getting any of tha when the no start occurs. That will narrow it down alot
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
If it was the cable then why does rocking it help? There's something else going on..mayb with a sensor. Crank angel or cam angel might be faulty. So when you turn the key it cranks just doesn't fire correct? So your either missing fuel or spark or both. Check to see if your getting any of tha when the no start occurs. That will narrow it down alot
we don't even get to that stage cause the starter wont turn the engine over when it decides to not start. so we haven't even gotten to spark etc...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:05 PM

How tight did make the bolts on the starter to the trans. Sometimes if you put them on too tight the starters wont work to well. Try losening it a tiny bit and see if that helps.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmtalontsi95
How tight did make the bolts on the starter to the trans. Sometimes if you put them on too tight the starters wont work to well. Try losening it a tiny bit and see if that helps.
not to tight and not so loose where its gonna shake out
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

ok i know where to start on this one. on your starter you have a big power cable and 1 one wire on the solenoid . first make sure you have a good connection at the solenoid with the small wire it could be broken at the plug or something.
if there is no issue there. (do this when your car is not starting) disconnect the small wire on the solenoid and grab a volt meter check to see if you have power at the wire when you are turning the key over.
if you dont you either have a broken wire barley making contact or a loose connection at the relay for the starter. or the starter replay could just be bad.
i almost grantee this is whats happening. thats why moving the car helps . it moving the wire giving it contact.

Last edited by EVO8STI; Oct 6, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

i am sure the solenoid wire is ok because u hear the solenoid click when u turn the key and click again when u turn the key back, also i have already changed the starter.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

if you really do hear it click then there is no reason what so ever the starter should not turn over. replace your replay its only a few bucks. but i personally think its in that wire somewhere. i dont think that wire is getting signal to your starter to tell it to turn over
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

i honestly think its my mini batt. but i will double chk the wires and i will swap the relay

Quick Reply: Starting problems round 2