Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Important

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run 93 octane gas with techron.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

the first thing you have to do is go back to Flis motorsports and tell them that they are being irresponisible for installing this mbc without warning you on what can happen if you don't have a boost gauge. the next thing i would do is set it to 19psi all the way to redline (after you put in the boost gauge of course). then what you want to do is choose a engine managment system and a tuner that knows what they are doing.

good luck
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Pump gas.. Probably not "Detonation resistent" enough to run much over 19psi (20 at most)

If you only hit fuel cut on a few occasions, Odds are you didn't do any damage and you'd know it if you did. However you can do serious damage with improperly configured hardware. And you should research your plans a little more and gain a little understanding of the effects that these changes have.

In all honesty, I'd put it back to stock, do your research, and drive the car for a while, get an understanding of what is out there, what makes you happy, and what you want from your car. You'll appreciate it in the long run. Especially if you don't know much about cars, and are expecting to have a warranty that mitsubishi can honor, I'd stay away from modifying it until you either don't care about the warranty (you can afford to fix what you broke) or it expires.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Nov 28, 2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by blonde
the first thing you have to do is go back to Flis motorsports and tell them that they are being irresponisible for installing this mbc without warning you on what can happen if you don't have a boost gauge. the next thing i would do is set it to 19psi all the way to redline (after you put in the boost gauge of course). then what you want to do is choose a engine managment system and a tuner that knows what they are doing.

good luck

GMTA, I wrote the same thing in my previous post when I revised it..
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

what does GMTA means???

it happens to me all the time (i am very slow at typing)
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you know your boost is set to 22psi or 25psi or 50psi without a boost gauge. You CAN hurt your car by repeated fuel cut transients due to the immediete cessation of fuel and spark. The car physically bucks and the stress on the drivetrain and motor add up.

To my knowledge the EVO does not have a hard wired 25psi boost fuel cut. Fuel cut is a floating variable based upon the volume of air being sucked through the MAS and outside temperature and pressure. In any case, adjusting boost by tripping a safety feature is really walking a slippery slope. The right combination of high boost, low temperature and bad gas can convert a piston from killograms to gallons well before fuel cut. Have fun!

Speedlimit...
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Well-said Speedlimit.. Your absolutely right, however in the northeast on a cool dense day, 25psi seems to be that magic number.... Nothing quite like combustion induced engine weight reduction (IE Holes in your engine and parts everywhere)

I just can't stop thinking about how unbelievably Irresponsible this shop was...
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by blonde
what does GMTA means???

it happens to me all the time (i am very slow at typing)
Great Minds Think Alike.. Another shorthand like IMHO and FWIW
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:50 PM

No, they were responsible. The guy instructed me to take the car to the store that sellls the performance parts and have them let me use a boost guage of their own to set it properly. He told me to get a boost guage too. I just haven't been down to RIDE(the place that sells the parts) to have them help me tune it. I frankly feel like an idiot not having a boost guage now, so I'm just waiting for my own guage to come in the mail.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:51 PM

Thanks for your help, guys.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, Good luck, once its properly adjusted you'll be very happy.. In case you didn't know, if the dealer sees the boost controller, and your in for some warranty repair, its likely you'd get a hard time from them, especially if the repair is a clutch, transmission failure, or engine problem.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

no problem bro, and for future plans don't forget that this board s here to help you and provide you with info. feel free to ask your questions here and i am sure one of us will be able to help you out making your car faster and better the right way.

good luck
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:56 PM

I am looking to get an exhaust system next, I'm debating over the rnr or HKS. I've heard the HKS works good in combination with the HKS intake.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

i have no personal experience with the RNR system but the HKS is a very nice unit that sounds great and has very good quality. i would talk to some people who tried some of the systems out there and see what they think. i am a fan of the buschur racing one with the magnaflow muffler.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm running a full Buschur setup, With a Cat.. The best lightest system out there in my opinion. HKS seemed expensive to me, but looks like a very nice setup. I always choose function over form so I wasn't as concerned with how finished or pretty it looked, but which produced the best gains and reasonable price.