Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Difficulty of wrenching on the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unlike some misinformation that soem people gave you in this thread, bottom line is that everycar has its easy things and hard things. the WRX was a very easy car to work on but it had things like injectors and uppipe that were a pin in the ***. the EVO is easy to work on for the most part but timing belt and turbo swap can be a pain in the *** if you are not used to the layout. bottom line is that if you take the time to get to know the car and the engine layout, with time things will be much easier. the first uppipe i did on a subaru took me close to 6 hours, now i can do one with a bit over 2. also, did any of you try to change a front sway bar on the EVO?
Old Nov 29, 2003, 01:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've gotten my uninstall/reinstall times down to about 5 minutes with my mbc, car must be reasonably cool preferably, though I have done it after a good run once can we say ouch!
Old Nov 30, 2003, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by blonde
unlike some misinformation that soem people gave you in this thread, the first uppipe i did on a subaru took me close to 6 hours, now i can do one with a bit over 2. also, did any of you try to change a front sway bar on the EVO?
were you saying i was giving misinformation about the ease of the up-pipe install? it took me a long time too. but after repairing some of the the junk-yard engineering Cletus and Jeb performed on my 67 Camaro, I thought the up-pipe was pretty straight forward. i didn't install it from the bottom though, maybe removing the entire turbo/intercooler assembly takes more time but is ultimately easier.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

no bro, i was saying that the uppipe was a pain in the *** but like everything else it gets better the more you do it.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Bottom line. If you really want to work on your EVO, take your time read all the instructions because if you rush something, something else will get f*ckedup.