Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cooling fan problem

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
I can also assure you that if I run with out the inner fan I see 200+temps. Every car is different, type of coolant used, coolant ratio, horsepower, etc.
Yea looked again through quite a few logs and never saw anything past 200. Like you said "Every car is different, type of coolant used, coolant ratio, horsepower, etc'

I flush 2 times a year, with Prestone antifreeze winter I'll run a 50/50 and late spring to mid fall a 25/75

Keep meaning to buy a slim fan just really never go around to it and have seen no ill effects

Originally Posted by crazybaldhead
With your fan running all the time, your alternator is strained. Also when travelling upwards of 50MPH the fans actually block incoming air, increasing temps slightly.

Yes lots of people run with the ans on all the time, but why risk it???
HUH
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your fan is on when your car is at rest, it pulls air in. If your fan is on while moving, it hinders the air flow. I checked both scenarios. Your fan needs to be OFF at higher speeds for your cooling system to work efficiently.

If you're wondering, I have a Defi coolant temp gauge and saw the difference.

For the second part, when you increase current draw opn your alternator, you increase parasitic loss, and the alternator and electrical system is stressed a bit.

Lastly, your fans come on for a few seconds at a time, and only when travelling under 50 KMPH. Think about your fans running all the time and how much additional wear is taking place. Now do you want to risk it? Or just change your fan controller?

Clear now?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by crazybaldhead
If your fan is on when your car is at rest, it pulls air in. If your fan is on while moving, it hinders the air flow. I checked both scenarios. Your fan needs to be OFF at higher speeds for your cooling system to work efficiently.

If you're wondering, I have a Defi coolant temp gauge and saw the difference.

For the second part, when you increase current draw opn your alternator, you increase parasitic loss, and the alternator and electrical system is stressed a bit.

Lastly, your fans come on for a few seconds at a time, and only when travelling under 50 KMPH. Think about your fans running all the time and how much additional wear is taking place. Now do you want to risk it? Or just change your fan controller?

Clear now?
I got what your saying to the OP. For me though the inner fan assembly is not even there I took it out of the car completely 2 years ago