Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help Repairing CF Rexpeed Lip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Repairing CF Rexpeed Lip

I bought an SE CF lip from Rexpeed and valet wound up hitting a curb with my car and damaging the lip.

It has spider cracks around where it was hit only in the clear coat, scuffs on the bottom that may have gone through the clear...

I spoke to a body shop and they said that they wouldn't be able to fix it but I don't think he is right since people sand down their wings that are peeling and re-clear them...

I was thinking why would I not be able to do the same thing? Does anyone have any experience in how to fix this or know if it is possible?

Any help would be appreciated! And please besides the few initial posts keep this on topic

Last edited by 06MRV8Killer; Oct 21, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Instead of repairing the old lip why not have the person who busted your lip pay for the new one, since it was in his/her hand at the time of the incident. Im pretty sure you can argue and have them pay for it.

If I were you and they refuse to replace the lip i would just repair the CF lip and paint it to color match the evo. CF is really hard to fix once it is crack or heavily damage. If its just the clear coat that crack the shop should have no problem sanding it and re clearing.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well this happened a couple of months ago and trust me, I ripped this guy a new one when I saw the car with the damage on it especially since i just bought it and got the car back from the body shop. I did talk to him and he wound up writing me a check as soon as I brought the invoice to him for the original purchase of the lip.

Thing is that I don't want to pay to replace it since I think it can be fixed, and the damage isn't so bad that its an eye sore and justifies painting it. I'm just **** about my car and don't like noticing it although most people don't and I love the CF better than the painted lip which is why i got rid of the painted one in the first place.

So I guess I should add from here... I am looking for solutions or in other words the process to fix the lip without just painting it to match the car.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:47 PM

I would never ever let Valet take my Evo from me... i'll park it myself thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Tehpra V7 in Valet mode, more concerned about them thinking they are gonig to be able to joy ride it vs. some stupid body damage.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
if the carbon isn't cracked you can certainly sand it down and re-clear it
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

^ thanks Chaotic, also thanks for the Binary seat bracket, Love it!