Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

balance shaft eliminator

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one balances a stock motor..... hence why I said built/balanced. The stock motor will have a lot of vibration in it.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its pain in the a** enough to get the rear balanceshaft bearing out with the engine out of the car let alone while its still in the car...at the very least you are going to have to pop the axles out to lower the engine and trans down enough to get to the rear shaft as it sits higher up and the body of the car gets in the way. Also the t case will have to come out as it will catch the crossmember with the tail.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
I wouldn't even run a balance shaft eliminator unless you have a built/balanced engine....
You amuse me greatly.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

this has been a very help full thread, ive been wondering about that too for a while
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:59 AM

I had this done to my Eclipse GSX that I have since sold. It was supposed to spin up quicker due to less rotational mass but I couldn't tell any difference. It did idle a little rougher but not too bad. The biggest thing I noticed was it was harder to pull away from a stop - it was easier to bog down and kill it since there was less rotational mass to keep it running.

I won't do it again.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:56 AM

I just did this on my ix and I felt no difference. I haven't driven the car hard so can't say anything about power.its no different pulling away from a stop then before.I did mine with the engine in the car it wasn't as bad as every1 makes it out to be,not to say it was easy but its definitely doable.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 06:29 AM

good read. thanks for sharing
Old Nov 27, 2010, 06:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Wow lots of interesting comments in here.

Yes it can be done with the motor in the car.
Yes it's worth the aggravation to do it.

The side affects are higher oil pressure, less rotating mass, more reliable engine, especially at higher RPM.

The balance shafts are there only to MASK a 2nd order vibration that is inherent in all 4 cyl inline engines. They do not actual eliminate anything other then an almost un-noticeable amount of vibration that may otherwise be transfered into the cabin and slightly increase the NVH rating of the car. The balance shafts rotate at twice the speed of the engine and one of them is only supported by one bearing. This creates a point of failure that is likely to destroy the whole motor when and if it fails. Simple solution; remove it when you have chance and don't look back.

As for the guy who had problems pulling away from a stop light after doing it, the flywheel is what stores the kinetic energy or inertia intended to keep the engine in its operating range or useable torque range. If the car died easily after removing the balance shafts you may want to check the timing belt and make sure you were not one tooth off.

Josh
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
So if I do this is it any harder to reinstall in case the vibrations are to much for a DD?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ive always wondered why people do this when the gains are negligible imo for what you get
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
One less part to fail and ruin your day goes beyond neglidgible in mybook.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
So if I do this is it any harder to reinstall in case the vibrations are to much for a DD?
I highly doubt you will even be able to notice the difference unless you have solid motor mounts. If you do have solid motor mounts then the balance shaft elimination is the least of your worries for vibrations.

Originally Posted by saxon
ive always wondered why people do this when the gains are negligible imo for what you get
Not every mod is for gains in horsepower, some are for gains in reliability. This is one of those mods.

Originally Posted by whtrice
One less part to fail and ruin your day goes beyond neglidgible in mybook.
Ruin your day, your motor, your oil cooler, and your checkbook.

Josh
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

its doable in the care its just a huge pita to do in the car
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

i have it out. and i have a 2.3l built motor in my 8 with a balance delete... feels great maybe if anything a tiny bit more vibrations at 3 to 4k nothing really noticeable or crazy its minor for the reliability gain.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

bump this old thread..
I am wondering if its best when deleting the balance shaft to use something like a ATI crank dampener pulley to compensate for any added vibrations?

Quick Reply: balance shaft eliminator