Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

balance shaft eliminator

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the AMS race delete kit, and use all the stock pullies with no troubles.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the kit on my EVO and honestly there are not many added vibrations. Unless you have full motor mounts, I don't think you will notice that much of a difference. Definitely a good mod and 1 less failure point for the EVO IMO.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im building 2.3 stoked motor right now and im not sure if i should delete my BALANCE SHAFT ??

i always delete it in my gsx but im new to evo's

please help thnkss
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

i'm interested in doing this as well. from what i have heard this mod has no negatives. engine reliability is the same or better. i'll most likely have english racing do this mod since i don't wanna do it myself. i'll see what they have to say when the time comes.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dawidevo
im building 2.3 stoked motor right now and im not sure if i should delete my BALANCE SHAFT ??

i always delete it in my gsx but im new to evo's

please help thnkss
Duuuuu it.

Then you will get into the inevitable AMS/GSC/Insert Brand Name BSE and the OEM BSE and which one is better.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Duuuuu it.

Then you will get into the inevitable AMS/GSC/Insert Brand Name BSE and the OEM BSE and which one is better.
so... which one is better?

i didn't know mitsu makes an eliminator kit.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Throttle
so... which one is better?

i didn't know mitsu makes an eliminator kit.
Its know as the stubby shaft. It is from the turbo colt. Its the OEM solution to the BSE. The turbo colt has a 4G63 in it so for most people (myself included) they figured if it was good enough for a OEM production car then it should be fine.

The AMS/GSC kit provides a more "elegant" solution to this. Its been endlessly debated which option is better with intelligent points made for or against either solution. THey both work but its all in the install is what I've gathered from the numerous debates.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

When I got my car I was warned that the bearing was failing on my balance shaft... let me rephrase this... a person who had the car before me was an didn't let me know. The engine was wonderful, they didn't let me know and the bearing locked up. The balance shaft stopped spinning, oil started pouring, the timing belt broke destroying the head, the pistons, everything. The FIRST money I spent on my car was getting that damn thing out. Bought an OEM Mitsubishi delete kit, had the motor balanced throughout the build, and NEVER want to see another balance shaft again. It is just a matter of time if you still have one in your car, and trust me... you don't want that to happen.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

How many miles were on the motor when it failed?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AKW89
When I got my car I was warned that the bearing was failing on my balance shaft... let me rephrase this... a person who had the car before me was an didn't let me know. The engine was wonderful, they didn't let me know and the bearing locked up. The balance shaft stopped spinning, oil started pouring, the timing belt broke destroying the head, the pistons, everything. The FIRST money I spent on my car was getting that damn thing out. Bought an OEM Mitsubishi delete kit, had the motor balanced throughout the build, and NEVER want to see another balance shaft again. It is just a matter of time if you still have one in your car, and trust me... you don't want that to happen.
QFT! Get rid of it if you have a chance.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 304MR
How many miles were on the motor when it failed?
Around 15,400 when the balance shaft locked up
Old May 22, 2013, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bumpin this thread. I am finishing up my my bse install. I installed new oem bearings rotated 180 deg, installed the oem stub shaft, got the little plug cover for the balance shaft, and installed the spacer to replace the balance shaft sprocket. As far as ditching the balance shaft tensioner pulley, I want to find a shorter bolt to thread in its place. Is that what everyone else is doing? Cant seem to find info on that.
Old May 22, 2013, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just leave the pulley. I also just leave the factory gear instead of using a spacer. The factory gear is 100% the right size. Why mess with perfection. You can use a smaller bolt and I do that sometimes but it isn't necessary. Since it isn't visible either I usually just leave the pulley in there.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
I just leave the pulley. I also just leave the factory gear instead of using a spacer. The factory gear is 100% the right size. Why mess with perfection. You can use a smaller bolt and I do that sometimes but it isn't necessary. Since it isn't visible either I usually just leave the pulley in there.

I do like the way the factory gear supports the trigger wheel better, but at the same time I don't feel that is really an issue.