Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Did I blow up my defi control unit and boost guage?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2003, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Did I blow up my defi control unit and boost guage?

well I was installing my Defi guages today and started with the boost I went to http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?techID=11 and did there step by step but her lies the problem

1. one of there steps said tap in to pin 10 the blue/yellow wire but the blue and yellow wire was pin 11 after looking at all the pics I saw the blue and yellow and went with it thinking they made a type o.

2. after I was done I made a mistake that I think might be the cause and I hope its not. When putting the possitive cablee on I had my long extention on my ratchet and was not thinking and my dumb *** tuched the Neg with the wrentch and it sparked and part of the NEG termainal melted well I finished and put the possitve on and then put the neg back on and the car started and everything worked but the defi guage. I checked all my connections and its was perfect... So did I short out the Boost guage adn the control unit when I touched the terminals

God I hope not im not looking to spend mad cash to replace them cause I was a dumb ****

Thanks in advance for any feedback

-chris
Old Nov 30, 2003, 05:49 PM
In Timeout

Ok...

1) Evomoto's directions ARE wrong (pin locations and colors)
2) You will need a 12Volt tester and multimeter to get it right
3) Don't use the ground in the stereo harness - Use a bare piece of metal

Don't worry just yet, try everything again...
I stopped using there directions as soon as I saw there connection spots were off... I used a multimeter to test all my connections before I started. Make sure you get a GOOD ground or it will not start up.
You can buy a craftsman 12V tester (lighbulb with a prod and ground connection) for 10 dollars.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA **** ON A STICK. I knew I should have stoped when that prob came up.

Well my next question is can u take those crimp connectors off once they are put on or do I have to cut all the wires now?

Can I just cut the Defi wires and leave the crimps in place with just a little bit of the defi wire left in side or will that casue sparks or a fire?

Thanks for the info does anybody have the correct wiring?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 08:05 PM
In Timeout

Mine is closed up and I'm not opening that bastard back up!
Ok...
Reuse the "vampire" clamps...simply slip the sides of with a flat head screwdriver...and give them allittle pry. Make sure to cover the opening on the bare wire.
Once you have the defi wires all disconnected...
1) Find a ground (bare metal with a screw to secure the wire)
2) Get your craftsman 12V detector
3) Have your car in normal operating condition
4) Take the harness that connects to your radio off
5) Insert your 12V detector into each of the pin-holes
6) Find the hole thats 12V with no key in ign.
7) Find the hole thats 12V with the lights on
8) Find the hole thats 12V with the key turned
9) Splice the vampire clamps into those wires
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:10 AM
Account Disabled

We apologize for any typos that may have caused any problems. I just pulled mine apart and verified in fact that pin "10" should have been correctly listed as pin "11", but the factory wire colors are perfectly correct for their function as was stated in the article. So, 5Star, if you have different colors AND pins, I would be curious as to what they are, their pin locations and whether or not you have the standard radio or changer. Different color/pin locations were noted as a possibility between different options, but to date, no one has confirmed anything different to us.

I have removed the factory wire colors and pin locations from the article on our site to avoid any further issues until someone confirms that their radio harness has different colors/pin locations than we've seen. This would be the very first we've heard of any problem and admittedly, pin 10 was a typo, but the wire colors are correct in my car with a standard radio (no changer).

CACalomino:
Depending what the actual wires were on your radio that you tapped each Defi wire to, it's quite possible that it just wasn't working due to improper connections and not necessarily "blown up". Does the radio work and have you checked all of your fuses inside the car and under the hood from your arc episode? Have you even wired the Control Unit "correctly" yet?

For the record, this exactly the factory wire colors and their correct pins on my personal Evo. For clarification, the front view of the radio harness is the actual harness that goes back into the dash, not the back of the radio:

Old Dec 2, 2003, 04:26 PM
In Timeout

Evo... the wires that you suggesting were unfortunely off in color and location. I don't know why to be frank...maybe your updated sheet is correct, ill have to look again.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

The orginal COLORS were correct. I just installed the control unit and everything works for contant power, iginition on, and light. The pin NUMBERS were the only ones that were wrong.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 08:37 PM
Account Disabled

Yeah, everything is pretty much the same in this chart as before, pin 10 has just been properly listed as pin 11. Guess I need to stop writing those things at 3am

In any event, if anyone ever comes across something like that in our articles, please do let us know ASAP so it can be corrected right away. Try as we may, simple mistakes like that can and do happen...