Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just seafoam'ed the famous 168,000 mile EVO IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had good luck with seafoam personally, and your car is super clean!

Is 168k a big achievement for an EVO? Thinking about buying a used X but if they don't last for more than 150k miles whats the point?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
the new aerosol seafoam.. sprayed in to the intake(NA cars)... holy crap..

198k on my civic.. and it runs like a CHAMP now.. 38.9 mpg..
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyb
I've had good luck with seafoam personally, and your car is super clean!

Is 168k a big achievement for an EVO? Thinking about buying a used X but if they don't last for more than 150k miles whats the point?
it's not that it's that big of an achievement for the cars, it's just that there aren't a lot of high mileage EVO's running around yet because the car's only been in the states since 2003. EVO's are very durable and reliable cars. If you look at EVO's overseas, you'll see this. Also, the reason the EVO had such great success in WRC was because the little bastards wouldn't break.

Like I said, there just aren't any 20, 15, or even 10 year old EVO's in America yet so no one knows yet what these cars will do, and a lot of people that own EVO's (for some reason I still don't get) don't like to put a lot of miles on them. A lot of owners see the EVO as a golden calf of some sort, and don't want to desecrate it with miles.

That said, go get one. they are great cars.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yup, alot of garage queen Evos. Cars have more problems when they sit more then driven.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm, I've been thinking about trying seafoam. Can you take a picture of the vaccum line you're talking about? I'm having a hard time picturing it haha.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umopp
Hmm, I've been thinking about trying seafoam. Can you take a picture of the vaccum line you're talking about? I'm having a hard time picturing it haha.
it's pretty easy to pinpoint. it's the only vacuum line on the blow off valve. it's on the discharge side of the valve...the top metal part, and if you follow it out, it goes to the intake manifold.

have someone rev the car gently as you SLOWLY let the car sip the seafoam.

i think people are getting this thread twisted though because running the seafoam through the intake DID NOT DO MUCH AT ALL ON MY CAR. There was almost ZERO smoke after the treatment. My car was clean clean clean. The seafoam helped me from the bottle that i put in the GAS TANK. I think i got a hold of some bad gas, and the seafoam helped that.

My problem may not be totally fixed though. I'm going to run this tank as low as possible, then dump another bottle of seafoam in and fill the tank up to clear out whatever trash was in there. if that doesn't work, after the next tank I'm going to run it as low as possible, then completely drain and clean the fuel tank.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:37 AM

Good info, I think I'm going to try this in my othe car and see inthat fixes idle issues I'm having with it. I had a friend try this out before but I didn't want to believed it worked.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

I hope mine still looks that nice in another 90K.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

damn the Evo looks good! Im thinking about seafoaming mine too. i have a 03 evo 8 with 110k miles now.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modvp
I have been using seafoam in my cars and boat with no issues at all. It works really well at cleaning the combustion chambers and as an injector cleaner.
How do you know? Did you pull the head, or use a bore scope before and after?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for sharing your result with a product, it's always helpful to me when seeing someone post thread like this. I saw a seafoam thread few year back and I picked one for my '95 maxima and my scooter that was sitting for more than a year and it suffered from bad gas. I never try it on an EVO b/c I am very sensitive about putting anything like this in my evo, but after seeing your result, I might give it a try if I encounter the knock issue like you had.

Now why do you think your problem is not totally fixed? you only had 1 count of knock with 0 timing pulled?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
U guys need to be doing oil changes soon after seafoam use(oil crancase)
Use the brake booster hose for vacuum into the intake mani.

At times the results are short term on high mileage cars. The gunk it removes in many cases actually were helping with compression(so I've read)

Seafoam should be used on consistent basis

Your car is not famous

Last edited by Evoryder; Oct 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car looks great, I'd never guess it had that many miles. Nice job.

A word of caution with Seafoam... make sure you have an area where the car will sit and smoke for a while. I did my old SHO and Legacy, there was no real "puffing." I did my '68 and it was like a tropical weather pattern
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:32 AM

Has your car ever replaced timing belt or anything and do you romp on it alot?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LCEvo
Has your car ever replaced timing belt or anything and do you romp on it alot?
I've done all the scheduled maintenance work on it. timing belt was replaced at 60k, again at 120k, and will be replaced again at 180k. all the necessary fluid flushes were done every 30k, oil changed every 5k, spark plugs every 60k (or sooner if needed), and the water pump along with a few small preventative maintenance items were replaced at 120k.

yes I "romp" on my car a lot. I've been autocrossing it since the temp tag was still in the window. the day after the break in period was over was the first time it saw the autocross track. I drive it farely aggressively on the street, and it's been the most dependable, and reliable car I've ever owned. even more so than my 2000 Honda Accord EX 4cyl that I bought new back in 2000 and only put 130k miles on.

Until this little knocking problem, I'd never had any issues with the car, and this is a relatively easy fix. The problem is still coming and going as I hit bad spots in the gas I have now. Like I said though, I plan to drop the tank, drain it and clean it when I run this gas down.

Quick Reply: Just seafoam'ed the famous 168,000 mile EVO IX MR