Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just seafoam'ed the famous 168,000 mile EVO IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so pour a full bottle in the gas tank, pour how much into the vaccum hose on the bov? and pour how much into the vaccum hose on the power brake booster? and what vaccum hose on the brake booster? could someone take a picture of it, i wanna do it but dont want to pour it in a wrong hose.. someone should do a write up on how to do it completly and properly..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used seafoam religiously on my old 97 Cobra. The 97 Cobra had these race like split port heads with two ports per cylinder. The geniuses at Ford decided to only spray a single injector into one port so the other non sprayed port would get tremendously gunked up.

On a warm engine (important) I would slowly rev the car while dumping about 1/3rd of the can into the pcv valve. Before doing it I would cut a 20oz soda bottle in half using my leatherman and fill that bottom portion with seafoam. I did that because the pcv valve line on the Cobra was only about 4 inches and thus it was too short to suck seafoam from anything other than a small container.

For that car it was very important that you let the motor die with seafoam still rushing in. I would keep revving the car while it went in and when the bottle had about a 1/2 inch left I would plunge the pcv valve hose into the seafoam and signal my girl to stop revving. The car would die as it choked on the last bit of seafoam. That way it was coated on that dry intake tract and the valves.... since air normally quickly sucks the seafoam through.

After it died I'd wait about 15-20 minutes depending on how bad I thought the gunk was. Then I'd immediately start it and quickly hold the revs up to about 2500rpm. After 5 or 6 seconds I'd go up to 3500rpm and let off. A bunch of white smoke would start pouring out. Then I'd rev it up to 4500rpm and hold it for a few seconds then go up to 6500rpm and let off without holding it up there. A TON of smoke would come out.

Then I'd basically snap it up to 7000rpm almost to fuel cutoff (7200rpm on the 97 cobra) and then let off. Usually by then that was the peak output of smoke and the car would then be good enough to drive without causing a massacre. I'd go for a quick cruise and really beat on it hard. Once the smoke completely stops you're basically done and it literally was worth a *lot* of horsepower on that car. Like 2 or 3 times the normal kick in the seat from doing an oil change and air filter change.

I haven't tried it yet on the Evo but I can contest to it's effectiveness on my Cobra. I did that every 15,000 miles and it made a huge difference.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

ill try seafoam out one day.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:47 AM

never used it on the evo.. but used it on plenty ka24de 240's and my jeep cherokee classic with 218k on it.. it was a pretty epic experience.. smoked out the whole block lol.. its important to change the oil shortly after but im sure that was already discussed
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:19 AM

have you checked your spark plugs to see if it left any deposits if any? I know that when I checked my Lucas "Octane Booster" my plugs were black as hell so I eventually stopped and I was a newb then but anytime when I put any cleaner in my tank I always make a way to check my plugs to check everything is good! just some input to keep in mind bud
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the review! I don't think my evo needs it yet but I did order it for my eg hatch that is my DD...220k on that thing
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:06 AM

really glad it worked for ya
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ODUB
well, I've been having a mystery knock in my car for the past couple of weeks. been in touch with my tuner, tried different tunes to see if that was the issue...it wasn't. did a lot of logging and trouble shooting, then decided to seafoam and see what happens.

I used the vac line on the blow off valve to inject the seafoam. used 1/3 bottle in there. I also poured a full bottle into the gas tank. I didn't get hardly any white smoke at all. Guess my engine is clean already. I think my biggest issue was the gas tank. i must have picked up some bad gas recently. the seafoam cleared it up within a few runs.

I had been getting as much as 25 counts of knock. after the seafoam, the highest I got in any gear was 1 count of knock, and 0 timing pulled.

Anyone wondering if seafoam is safe, yes it is. I read a lot of threads here before I did it to see what others thought and it seemed that in every thread, the only people bad mouthing seafoam were the ones that had never actually used it. typical. well, the stuff works. car is idling and running smoother, and not hesitating and knocking anymore.

in short, seafoam is some good ****.
Sorry to sound like a newb, do you have pictures of the vac line that you are putting the seafoam into? Also putting it into that vs the engine would clean what parts that the gas wouldnt?

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:57 PM

This might answer a few questions and give a little more info also.

Seafoam IS E85 approved! That's good news for all that run E85.
I would like to see if this would dissolve the mysterious black gunk that some people get on their injectors when using E85. Since I don't get this on my injectors, I can't test it for the forum.

I have used seafoam for 14 or so years (Gas and E85). I've also used it all 3 ways listed on the can (Intake, gas tank, crankcase). My own suggestion is to use it in the intake manifold and gas tank.

NOTE: I guess I better add a disclaimer. Do these steps at your own risk. You accept all responsibility for what you do to your vehicle.

Gas tank Instructions. (Will basically clean tank, injectors, valves, cylinder area, etc)
1. Pour in half to full can of seafoam
2. Fill up your gas tank
3. Let it work over time as you drive your car

Note: You will not see smoke pouring out your exhaust with this method

Intake Method. (Will basically clean the intake mani, possibly injector tips, intake ports on the head, valves, cylinder area, etc)
1. Warm up the engine
2. Locate a vacuum source on the intake manifold. One method is to use a spare piece of vacuum hose aprox 8 to 12 inches in length. Unplug the blow off valves source at the intake manifold. Plug in your spare length of vacuum hose to the manifold. This spare length will allow your to easily reach the can of seafoam.
3. Let the engine idle.
4. set the can of seafoam within reach of your hose. As the engine is idling, slowly put the hose down into the seafoam. You're trying to slowly suck in a little at a time. It's a little like skimming the top. You will probably have to blip the throttle to keep the car from stalling. You can do this by using the throttle cable. DO NOT just dunk the hose and start sucking the can dry quickly.
5. Monitor the amount you're sucking in. I probably suck in about 1/3 the can.
6. Shut off the car and let sit for 10-15 to let the seafoam do it's job.
7. Start the car. The car may not just start up instantly. Just crank it a few times and it should start up. It may sputter at first. This will go away as it's working all that stuff out of the engine.

Note 1: This is where the 007 smoke screen will probably come into play. It will smoke large amounts until it blows all the carbon and other stuff out of the car.

Note 2: If your engine has extreme buildups, there is a possibility that you could foul your plugs. I would check them to make sure.

Crankcase Method Since I'm not a big fan of this, I'm not going to put the instructions up. You can follow the instructions on the can. I will tell you I would not suggest you drive or put any load on your engine with it in the crankcase. Yes seafoam is a cleaner and lubricant but it's thinner than your oil. I would not suggest any load being put on your car when there's a possibility that this may thin out your oil. This is mainly use at idle, drain oil, then new oil and filter.
I may be wrong but do this at your own risk! I prefer to be safe than sorry.

These are the basic, quick and easy instructions.

As far as the questions about does it really work and have you used a scope to see in the cylinders, etc:
As I said above, I've used it for about 14 years. I've seen the before and after of the piston tops on my own engines. It was a night and day difference. I also had the TB off after a cleaning (TB gasket leak) and the inside of the intake mani was also spotless. Unlike the before that had black buildup throughout the mani.

I would take pic.s but my car is apart right now. Sorry!

I could have sworn I did a "How To" about this a long time ago. It may have been back in my 2G days though...hmmmm

Hope this helps.

Last edited by INEVOIX; Jan 17, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:55 PM

nice .. good stuff i just bought 2 bottles for my 96 s10 , SMOKEOUT TIME!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Wow 175K and still going! That's great man!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:07 AM

Seafoam is awesome! Works every time for me.