Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just seafoam'ed the famous 168,000 mile EVO IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just seafoam'ed the famous 168,000 mile EVO IX MR

well, I've been having a mystery knock in my car for the past couple of weeks. been in touch with my tuner, tried different tunes to see if that was the issue...it wasn't. did a lot of logging and trouble shooting, then decided to seafoam and see what happens.

I used the vac line on the blow off valve to inject the seafoam. used 1/3 bottle in there. I also poured a full bottle into the gas tank. I didn't get hardly any white smoke at all. Guess my engine is clean already. I think my biggest issue was the gas tank. i must have picked up some bad gas recently. the seafoam cleared it up within a few runs.

I had been getting as much as 25 counts of knock. after the seafoam, the highest I got in any gear was 1 count of knock, and 0 timing pulled.

Anyone wondering if seafoam is safe, yes it is. I read a lot of threads here before I did it to see what others thought and it seemed that in every thread, the only people bad mouthing seafoam were the ones that had never actually used it. typical. well, the stuff works. car is idling and running smoother, and not hesitating and knocking anymore.

in short, seafoam is some good ****.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear, hope it keeps running strong for you. I have never personally tried seafoam. But I have seen videos on youtube with positive results.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing about seafoam is that it might clean a little too well. You don't want it knocking off chunks of sludge/carbon and having it block oil passages and ruining the engine. Also, people who run synthetics generally don't need to clean out the crankcase unless you tend to saturate the oil's capacity to hold dirt. In the end, glad it cured the knock, but just because it worked well for you doesn't mean the same results are for everyone.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
The only thing about seafoam is that it might clean a little too well. You don't want it knocking off chunks of sludge/carbon and having it block oil passages and ruining the engine. Also, people who run synthetics generally don't need to clean out the crankcase unless you tend to saturate the oil's capacity to hold dirt. In the end, glad it cured the knock, but just because it worked well for you doesn't mean the same results are for everyone.
if someone does have issues with seafoam it'll most likely be because of something else that was already wrong with the car, or improper application of the product. the product itself is harmless.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Name:  9c8f1ea9.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  96.1 KB
Name:  2effa489.jpg
Size:  104.8 KB
Name:  162c0c33.jpg
Size:  86.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
TurboIX (Jul 6, 2020)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:11 PM

I have used seafoam in many of my vehicles with normally great results. My talon and my first toyota I didnt really notice any better idle or easier starts or any difference ins throttle response. It def helped my rx7 though. They are known for having quite a lot of carbon build up.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

ive been wanting to do this . glad it put out some good results , thanks for sharing. also what kind of fuel are you using, and do you realy have that many miles on your car?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

I have been using seafoam in my cars and boat with no issues at all. It works really well at cleaning the combustion chambers and as an injector cleaner.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LVmevo
ive been wanting to do this . glad it put out some good results , thanks for sharing. also what kind of fuel are you using, and do you realy have that many miles on your car?
93 unleaded, and yes I really do have that many miles on my car.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Damn. What are you lowered on?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used seafoam on all of my cars. It works well. My main focus is generally the intake manifold getting the combustion chambers cleaned out nice and making sure there isn't a bunch of carbon sticking to everything.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63punk
Damn. What are you lowered on?
Buddy club racing specs...those will be the next thing to be replaced. I'm still researching, but it'll most likely be Ohlins or AST's. Dunno yet.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:43 PM

I used sea foam for the first time not to long ago and wow what a differance gained a little Mpgs and the car ran great afterwards. I would recomend it to anyone
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:53 PM

Your car is ballin!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Nice car mang!! Good to hear you cleared out the knocks.

I used sea foam once when I had my E36, applied per directions.

Didn't smoke at first till I drove a couple blocks then seen a minor amount of bluish smoke for less then a mile. Had a cop follow me then it cleared.

I was expecting a ton of white smoke, I was amped to leave thick clouds behind.

Quick Reply: Just seafoam'ed the famous 168,000 mile EVO IX MR