Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To all yellow Evo owners

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all yellow Evo owners

Is it just me or does everyone else have this too. My car seems to have a 2 tone color. The bumpers and side skirt has a darker yellow then the rest of the car. Am I the only one with this issue or is it normal? May be it's from that dust tape they use on it when it was shipped over.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

dude, my blue one looks the same way sometimes depending on the time of day and the way the light hits it.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:56 AM

painting on plastic and metal or aluminum may be why. it has happen to me many times and to others as well. Dont know if this is whats going on with urs, just a thought
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

i notice the same thing on my yellow. kinda pisses me off at times... also I think they either used a **** load less paint on unibody or something is wrong because when I open my door, the sideskirt is much darker then the unibody/frame.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Same on mines, with the bumpers, side skirts,and the wing sides!
Old Dec 1, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

The different material will show the color differently. But yeah, mine too. Was the same on my old ITR, too.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Ok...thanks for all the replies. Now I know I'm not the only one seeing things.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 03:14 PM

I haven't even noticed this...now I'm gonna have to go look! LOL
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:06 PM

ya, i noticed it the first time i was washing my car... i was so pissed that i was gonna go back to the dealership and make them repaint it.

But if you really looked close at all the evo's exterior colors, they all mis-match... it's just that yellow stands out the most. Which really bugs me sometimes
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

My wing sides are definately a little darker, however, the rest of the car seems pretty much the same tone
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by evodemon
ya, i noticed it the first time i was washing my car... i was so pissed that i was gonna go back to the dealership and make them repaint it.
Good luck. Every car in the world with steel body panels and plastic bumper covers is like this. There's no way to match it. Aluminum, steel, fiberglass, plastic - they all have different relfective qualities when it comes to light reflection (or refraction, whatever) and the paint never matched from day one, nor will it ever.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by GPTourer

Good luck. Every car in the world with steel body panels and plastic bumper covers is like this. There's no way to match it. Aluminum, steel, fiberglass, plastic - they all have different relfective qualities when it comes to light reflection (or refraction, whatever) and the paint never matched from day one, nor will it ever.

dude i said i WAS going to, but i didn't... because i noticed the colors did not match on all the evos. It just really stands out on yellow
Attached Thumbnails To all yellow Evo owners-evo.jpg  
Old Dec 1, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

My freind said he thought the silver was a little bit different in color. I saw what he was talking about, all I said was it's probably the light in the detailing bay causing the color shift.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

This color difference is evident on all Evo's, and just about every Japanese car with plastic bumpers to some extent. On top of what has been stated in posts above, the paint they put on the flexible plastic is sometimes a little different than the paint they put on the metal surfaces....they sometimes add an ingredient that allows the paint to flex with the plastic surfaces.

SC~ who noticed it a lot more on his Type R than his Yellow Evo.

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Dec 2, 2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:51 AM

I think it is because they paint these at different times and then add them onto the car. It is very hard to paint everything at the same time and keep it with the car in the factory before installing it. That is some of the reason BMWs and such are so pricey. My red evo is the same way. The mirrors are pink!!