Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Snapped my Boomba throttle blade in half!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have tried to hit them for towing as well, because that is bullox. Ol well. Thats what we get for performance pieces.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rodent
Sent Boomba a PM stating I wasn't happy. Their response:

I do appreciate they were quick on getting it fixed and did the seals for free. I still feel the blade should not break even bent at 180 degree's. I tested a piece of stainless steel and it didn't break when folded.

The parts seemed a little high but I also understand they have to make a buck too.
Blade: $45
Shaft: $75
Labor: $60
Shipping: $16

Hopefully this never happens again...
I think Boomba did as much as can be expected. A bent plate wouldn't be any more repairable than a snapped aluminum one. It could never be sufficiently straightened out to seal properly, and bending it puts it through a signficant fatigue cycle which also makes it less desirable to try to reuse.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikSchultzy
I would have tried to hit them for towing as well, because that is bullox. Ol well. Thats what we get for performance pieces.
I can't expect them to cover the towing.

I wasn't expecting the parts would cost that much.

Originally Posted by mrfred
I think Boomba did as much as can be expected. A bent plate wouldn't be any more repairable than a snapped aluminum one. It could never be sufficiently straightened out to seal properly, and bending it puts it through a signficant fatigue cycle which also makes it less desirable to try to reuse.
Agreed, Boomba did a good job fixing it quickly. With a bent plate, I could of limped the car home and not called a tow truck. If I could of bent the plate back would it would of been even better and give me close to a stock idle. this would have been only been temp situation just to make it home. I would have repaired the TB correctly after that. Also, there would have been no debris in the intake manifold with a bent throttle blade.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So let me understand this, you did NOT use nitrous, correct? That is just from _normal_ back fire?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Kinda scary.. I have a brand new one sitting at home waiting to be installed
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
best bet is to remove the throttle plate and have a replacement made out of stainless.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is a very rare occurrence. Could it possibly be the TB's fault, not the cars fault? Who snaps a TB?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

I have been running a boomba tb on my car at horsepower levels from 470 to 650+ with backfiring/meth/e-85 all backfiring at times and have never seen this so it had to be one serious backfire to hit the plate like that. I've had 0 issues with mine and as you'll find by reading around the forums I don't recall a single other case that I've read about but plenty of positive. The throttle body is awesome, I've had nothing but a great experience with mine.

Surely you all have read about the Evo's with bad transfer cases, bad motors, etc from the factory and you all still bought one right? Are you saying if you had known about the Evo "issues" you wouldn't be driving one? Of course not, that's just silly.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by High_PSI
This is a very rare occurrence. Could it possibly be the TB's fault, not the cars fault? Who snaps a TB?
Well I haven't snapped a plate off, but I had a Magnus 75mm that the shaft broke where the screws go through to hold the plate in place and sent the bolt down a cylinder and ruined my 1st motor.
Then I bought a Wilson Manifolds 75mm to replace it because they are about the best name in TB's, same **** happened that time about a month into driving the car, luckily it didn't ruin anything this time. So I sent it back to them to be fixed, when I got it back it made it to the end of my driveway and the plate stuck wide open because they had forgotten to loctite and stake the bolts when they put them in (luckily again the bolt stuck in my manifold). So I called them to let 'em know what happened and that I was just going to get my friend to put new ones in and then weld them to the shaft so they couldn't go bouncing down the cylinders again.
A week later the shaft broke from the heat caused by the welds.
So unless you stick with a stock or stock ported TB, I don't believe there is a really good/safe option out there.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
No way should a throttle plate break off, that's a huge liability and safety issue. I believe Toyota had to do a recall that cost them billions for cars that went to WOT.

I'd recommend putting your stock one back on the car....
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how long was it on the car before it broke?, I have the same TB on my evo havent had any issues with it.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

damn, talk about drive it like you stole it.....hahaha
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Dang that blade snapped off clean!! At least it didnt happen on the freeway and everyone is safe..
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
So let me understand this, you did NOT use nitrous, correct? That is just from _normal_ back fire?
Nope. No Nitrous used.

Originally Posted by honey on boost
Kinda scary.. I have a brand new one sitting at home waiting to be installed
You should be fine. I think this is rare case.

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
best bet is to remove the throttle plate and have a replacement made out of stainless.
I thought about that.

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Well, it did bend the other blade still intact so something caused it to happen.

Originally Posted by Tfresh
Damn that would scare the crap out of me
I didn't notice anything until my RPM jumped up to redline!

Originally Posted by 05blue8
I have been running a boomba tb on my car at horsepower levels from 470 to 650+ with backfiring/meth/e-85 all backfiring at times and have never seen this so it had to be one serious backfire to hit the plate like that. I've had 0 issues with mine and as you'll find by reading around the forums I don't recall a single other case that I've read about but plenty of positive. The throttle body is awesome, I've had nothing but a great experience with mine.

Surely you all have read about the Evo's with bad transfer cases, bad motors, etc from the factory and you all still bought one right? Are you saying if you had known about the Evo "issues" you wouldn't be driving one? Of course not, that's just silly.
Agreed. I've had good luck with the Boomba till now.

Originally Posted by Mwolf83
Well I haven't snapped a plate off, but I had a Magnus 75mm that the shaft broke where the screws go through to hold the plate in place and sent the bolt down a cylinder and ruined my 1st motor.
Then I bought a Wilson Manifolds 75mm to replace it because they are about the best name in TB's, same **** happened that time about a month into driving the car, luckily it didn't ruin anything this time. So I sent it back to them to be fixed, when I got it back it made it to the end of my driveway and the plate stuck wide open because they had forgotten to loctite and stake the bolts when they put them in (luckily again the bolt stuck in my manifold). So I called them to let 'em know what happened and that I was just going to get my friend to put new ones in and then weld them to the shaft so they couldn't go bouncing down the cylinders again.
A week later the shaft broke from the heat caused by the welds.
So unless you stick with a stock or stock ported TB, I don't believe there is a really good/safe option out there.
Wow, yeah you've had worse luck than me!

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
No way should a throttle plate break off, that's a huge liability and safety issue. I believe Toyota had to do a recall that cost them billions for cars that went to WOT.

I'd recommend putting your stock one back on the car....
Thanks David. I'll think about it.

Originally Posted by MMMR0820
damn, talk about drive it like you stole it.....hahaha
Damn straight!

Originally Posted by AboodsEvo
Dang that blade snapped off clean!! At least it didnt happen on the freeway and everyone is safe..
Yeah, I was glad I was able to cut ignition and pull over safely in a parking lot quickly.

Thanks for all comments. My main point was to warn others that this could happen with some throttle bodies if their blades can't take the abuse.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:12 PM

Not a good thing.

Quick Reply: Snapped my Boomba throttle blade in half!