Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Snapped my Boomba throttle blade in half!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Very poor engineering on the manufactures part. I have spent my whole career in the Recreational Vehicle field. Have bored hundreds of carburetors, some have a butterfly [ That's what we call them ] that has to be made. Most are brass, some are steel. In a turbo, performance, nitrous application I would never use a material which would not be pliable. Aluminum is the last product I would use. I would not be happy knowing my performance vehicle had a butterfly that would break under high pressure in my engine.

Don
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get her back together and happy. Now go play with the Blazer over the winter ....pow you now have a tow vehicle ....GL man!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadrunr
Very poor engineering on the manufactures part. I have spent my whole career in the Recreational Vehicle field. Have bored hundreds of carburetors, some have a butterfly [ That's what we call them ] that has to be made. Most are brass, some are steel. In a turbo, performance, nitrous application I would never use a material which would not be pliable. Aluminum is the last product I would use. I would not be happy knowing my performance vehicle had a butterfly that would break under high pressure in my engine.

Don
Glad I'm not the only one thinking it should be made out of something different.

Originally Posted by BoostINurI
Get her back together and happy. Now go play with the Blazer over the winter ....pow you now have a tow vehicle ....GL man!
Yep, still need a few parts for the SBC. Just been broke with all the cash I've put in the in the Evo lately.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Update:
Received it today via USPS. They got it last Friday, fixed and shipped it Monday, and today is Wednesday so the turn around time was pretty quick. I really appreciate the quick service along with the free shaft seals.

Blade and shaft were replaced. Blade (aka butterfly, plate) was not anodized red but just a normal alum. silver and there's a few scratches on the blade. No big deal since you can't see it after installed but you can tell its been replaced and could affect resale value if I were to eventually sell it. Not too worried about it right now, just looking forward to getting the Evo back on the road. Its been a LONG time since I've actually been able to enjoy this car and cruise it down the road.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are just some expenses a company is expected to eat. This is definitely one of them. I mean, would replacing the parts really break them. Boomba must be hurting.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
There are just some expenses a company is expected to eat. This is definitely one of them. I mean, would replacing the parts really break them. Boomba must be hurting.
I have to admit, Boomba has treated me well in the past. I was one of the first ones to fit a Boomba on the Magnus IM and they had to make a different adapter plate for that IM so my Boomba would fit properly.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-problems.html
After 2 adapters, they finally sent me one that fits. They did send me a free t-shirt and battery hold down for free.

In this situation where my engine backfire caused the TB plate to bend/break, I can't expect them to eat the cost. It would have been nice though. I just wasn't expecting the parts to be that much.

As for plate being a "billet" piece, I don't see that being a cost effective way to produce the plate alone. The new one looks like it came from a thick sheet of alum. and doesn't look like it was machined. I could be wrong. Regardless, I don't feel a cut piece of billet is any stronger than if the piece came from a sheet. I know the TB itself is billet since it has to be machined from a block of alum.

Explanation on billet here:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...ned/index.html

IMHO, the blade itself SHOULD be made of stainless. This would allow it to bend and not break if a backfire were to happen again. I'm not sure what the stock TB plate (blade) is made out of but I'd be curious.

Overall the Boomba TB is a great piece and has worked well for me. I only wish they would consider a better material for the blade.